1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Neural coding

1. Oct 21, 2007 #1
    Hi all,
    I'm hoping that I can get some advice on my current situation. I'm a junior at NYU, and I've just recently switched my major to Neuroscience. After undergrad, I want to get a PhD in neural science and my long term goal (as of right now) is to do research in neural coding and neural pathways. I'm hoping to get a math minor, but I'm thinking about heading towards a math major instead since I enjoy math and I think that developing the type of abstract thinking that is involved in mathematics would be a good complement to a science career.

On the other hand, I'm afraid that if I do not pursue a neural science major as an undergrad, then I won't be able to get into a good PhD program that would have required me to have certain science courses under my belt.

If anyone has any input to give I would really appreciate it!!! It's kind of stressing me out because I feel pressure to decide soon so that I can graduate on time or a semester later if need be.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2007 #2
    First of all, NYU is a very good place for neuroscience right now, especially for more mathematically oriented neuroscience. Either a math major or the neural science major there should prepare you for a PhD program in theoretical/computational neuroscience. If you look at the websites of computational neuroscience doctoral programs, many of them say something like "no experience in neuroscience necessary", they are looking for people with a quantitative background.

If you are more interested in a *less mathematical* subfield of neuroscience then you should probably go for the neural science major.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?