Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Neural Engineering

1. Feb 12, 2006 #1
    At different places across the USA and other countries, a new field is popping up called neural engineering. I am assuming that it is similar to cybernetics and I've seen some of the research they are doing and it looks very very cool....
    Are any of you involved in that? If so, what kind of educational background do people in that field typically have?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2006 #2
    math, biology, physics, chem, and engineering...most interdisplinary sciences that i've looked geared towards that type of field are intense in courseload. of course if you want to do research in the field MSc and Phd.

I believe the field is of 2 parts...growing neural cells on chips, robotics/cybernetics that emulate the brain.

no i'm not involved in that particular field of neuro stuff...i'm trying to become a sim-modeller.
  4. Feb 13, 2006 #3

Science Advisor

I'm sure you've heard some of the big "buzz words" in that field - "brain-computer interface" and "nanotechnology". There was/is a group at the University at Albany (NY) working with another group at Cornell that was doing a lot of cell/synthetic interface type experiments. Cornell also just recently set up a very large nanotechnology center on campus, I would assume some neuroscience/neural enginerering is going on there. Another group at Albany was working with spinal cord injuries and connecting the brain to computers to enable control of electronics/robotics.

As far as background and fields of study, neurocomp2003 has got it. There are so many different applications of technology and life science in that field that pretty much anything goes. Now I would imagine there are, or soon will be, more courses (or even programs) that are specific to this field of study cropping up at major universities.
  5. Feb 15, 2006 #4
    Is there the potential for limiting overactive neuroemission that has also been associated with physical debilitation, in cases such as parkinson's, Shy-Drager, ect?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?