1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Neural Network

1. May 2, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I wont go into detail as I am just trying to figure out the methodology of this problem. Having said that:
    I have 3 inputs. These 3 inputs are connected to a hidden layer of 3 other nodes and then a single output node.
    Each node of ABC is connected to each node of DEF and each DEF is connected to G:

A D
    B E G
    C F

Each connection has an associated weight and there is a transfer function f(x) between each node. There is also a bias at DEF and G but not ABC.
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So, I believe if I want to calculate the value of D I should do the following:
    ##D = (f(x_A)W_{AD})+(f(x_B)W_{BD})+(f(x_C)W_{CD})+Bias_D##
    That is the result of the function from input A times the weight from A to D plus the same from B and C. And then at the end the bias value associated with D.
    I should do this for E and F in the same manner with the correct weights. Then, for G, I take the results of D, E and F and perform the same again to get the final result.

Is this the correct method?

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2015 #2
    It's been a number of years since played with this. I modeled my elements as operational amplifiers with programmable gains (this is the weighting factor W), with soft saturation characteristics (the sigmoidal transfer function). I used the inverse tangent.

Doing it this way, [tex]D_{out} = atan(W_{AtoD} A_{out} + W_{BtoD} B_{out} + W_{CtoD} C_{out} - D_{bias})[/tex]

The arc tangent function had the convenient feature that [tex]\frac{d}{dx}atan(x)=\frac{1}{x^2+1}[/tex] useful in implementing a Hopfield reverse learning algorithm. But this might be severely dated.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted