Can Neurons Truly Explain the Experience of Red and Other Qualia?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the question of how neural patterns give rise to images and the role of neuroscientists like Antonio Damasio and Edelman in understanding consciousness from a neurobiological perspective. The specific question is posed about how neurons give rise to qualia or the feeling of experiencing certain things, and whether this would still occur if brain circuits were replaced by electronic circuits. However, the conversation also touches on the issue of what topics are allowed to be discussed on the platform, with the suggestion to consult a philosophy forum for further discussion on this subject.
gva
So how do neural patterns give rise to images.. what's the latest on this? My background is Antonio Damasio's and Edelman's.

Biology news on Phys.org
gva said:
So how do neural patterns give rise to images.. what's the latest on this? My background is Antonio Damasio's and Edelman's.
Please quote the specific paragraphs you have questions about and link to the sources. Please start getting used to how we do things here.

Evo said:
Please quote the specific paragraphs you have questions about and link to the sources. Please start getting used to how we do things here.

First. Antonio Damasio is a neuroscientist. Is his stuff banned here? if so.. who are the neuroscientists that can be discussed here?
It's from page 317 of his book The Feeling of What Happens. I'll quote it after I get the book in my attic. But here's what its about http://www.enotes.com/topics/feeling-what-happens:

"The question at the heart of The Feeling of What Happens is how the brain permits the experiencing organism to know that it is having an emotion. Damasio has researched this problem of consciousness from the perspective of neurobiology. He seeks to understand just how the brain engenders the mental patterns that compose the images of an “object,” which is anything from a person to a feeling to a toothache; an “image” here is a “mental pattern” that utilizes any of the senses."

If many things in the mainstream are even banned or censored here. Please give list of the few neuroscientists that can be mentioned here.

gva said:
First. Antonio Damasio is a neuroscientist. Is his stuff banned here? if so.. who are the neuroscientists that can be discussed here?
It's from page 317 of his book The Feeling of What Happens. I'll quote it after I get the book in my attic. But here's what its about http://www.enotes.com/topics/feeling-what-happens:

"The question at the heart of The Feeling of What Happens is how the brain permits the experiencing organism to know that it is having an emotion. Damasio has researched this problem of consciousness from the perspective of neurobiology. He seeks to understand just how the brain engenders the mental patterns that compose the images of an “object,” which is anything from a person to a feeling to a toothache; an “image” here is a “mental pattern” that utilizes any of the senses."

If many things in the mainstream are even banned or censored here. Please give list of the few neuroscientists that can be mentioned here.
You aren't understanding. You cannot just throw out a name of a scientist and expect that to be sufficient to get an answer. You need to tell us specifically what it is that you read that you do not understand and post a clear question based on a small portion of that work (that meets copyright laws). Your question is too broad to be answered here. Your link is of no help. What did you read specifically that you do not understand? Please post a link to that portion of his work and ask about what you do not understand and please be specific. :smile: Also, please be aware, if you want to discuss the philosophical aspect, we no longer allow philosophical discussions.

Last edited:
Evo said:
You aren't understanding. You cannot just throw out a name of a scientist and expect that to be sufficient to get an answer. You need to tell us specifically what it is that you read that you do not understand and post a clear question based on a small portion of that work (that meets copyright laws). Your question is too broad to be answered here. Your link is of no help. What did you read specifically that you do not understand? Please post a link to that portion of his work and ask about what you do not understand and please be specific. :smile:

I think my general question is how do neurons give rise to qualia or the feeling of the feeling of red for instance. Neurons are just electrical signals, so how do they give rise to thoughts and our general feelings. If brain circuits were replaced by electronic circuits.. would we still have qualia or feelings? So my question is not directly related at all to Damasio.. it's just the terms I used.. but I may as well use the more general why do neurons give rise to qualia.. my questions are what are the latest on this?

gva said:
I think my general question is how do neurons give rise to qualia or the feeling of the feeling of red for instance. Neurons are just electrical signals, so how do they give rise to thoughts and our general feelings. If brain circuits were replaced by electronic circuits.. would we still have qualia or feelings? So my question is not directly related at all to Damasio.. it's just the terms I used.. but I may as well use the more general why do neurons give rise to qualia.. my questions are what are the latest on this?
Thank you for explaining, this would fall under philosophy, I would suggest asking at a philosophy forum where they have people that are experts in this subject. You would probably find some interesting discussions on the topic. I realize that this is an area that crosses over with actual science, but we have found it impossible to moderate such discussions effectively.

What are neural patterns?

Neural patterns refer to the specific patterns of electrical activity in the brain that are associated with different thoughts, memories, or experiences.

What is the relationship between neural patterns and images?

Neural patterns are closely related to images because the brain uses these patterns to process and interpret visual information. When we see an image, our brain creates a specific neural pattern that represents that image.

How can neural patterns be used to create images?

Neural patterns can be used in a process called neural decoding, which involves analyzing brain activity to reconstruct images or videos. This can be done using advanced imaging techniques, such as functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) or electroencephalography (EEG).

What are some potential applications of neural patterns to images?

Neural patterns to images technology has a wide range of potential applications, including assisting individuals with visual impairments, developing advanced brain-computer interfaces, and improving our understanding of how the brain processes visual information.

Are there any ethical concerns related to using neural patterns to images?

As with any new technology, there are potential ethical concerns related to the use of neural patterns to images. These may include privacy concerns, potential misuse of the technology, and the need for informed consent from participants in research studies.