1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Neuroscience Help Please

1. Dec 28, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi all,

I have to write a couple of essays for a neuroscience course, but I was hoping I could get some clarification regarding the titles just to be sure that my answer is relevant:

(1) Describe synaptic transmission with reference to the electrochemical conduction of the action potential and signal transduction at the synapse.

(2) Explain how neurons convey and integrate information.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Firstly, is there any significant difference between these two? For (1) I was planning on describing the action potential, then briefly discussing the release of neurotransmitters and how they bind to the postsynaptic neuron to produce an effect. For (2) I expect to write roughly the same thing, but including a description of the way neurons sum all of their inputs to calculate the final result.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2011 #2
    Your plan sounds great. I think you've already hit upon the key difference: the second aspect is looking for a larger scale---i.e. the system-level, big-picture---where-as the first question is just about the electrochemistry.

4. Dec 29, 2011 #3
    For (2), you could also mention the stochastic nature of neuron firing, which is quite interesting (in my opinion).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook