Neutral Compensator: Learn More About It

In summary: Apparently, this is an uncommon, but not unheard-of setup (rare enough that I'm only just finding out about it) known as a three-strike wye delta. Basically, what happened is that the utility used a three-phase transformer to power the building, but one of the legs was grounded instead of used to power the building. Since the ground leg was connected to one of the other two phases, when one of the phases went out, the resulting imbalance caused the device to become unstable and generate too much neutral current. Unfortunately, because this setup is so uncommon, it's not too difficult or expensive to replace.
Sidharrth.N
I have learned from some source that there is a device called neutral compensator .Iwould like to know about it in detail.

Engineering news on Phys.org
It's special type of polyphase transformer (usually three-phase) which is wound in such a way as to balance the line phases as much as possible, thereby reducing the neutral current. It's connected on parallel across the load. Its phase-balancing capability also means that if you lose a phase entirely, it will regenerate the missing phase, albeit at a lower voltage than normal.

negitron said:
It's special type of polyphase transformer (usually three-phase) which is wound in such a way as to balance the line phases as much as possible, thereby reducing the neutral current. It's connected on parallel across the load. Its phase-balancing capability also means that if you lose a phase entirely, it will regenerate the missing phase, albeit at a lower voltage than normal.
A while back, I was a postdoc at MIT, and my techician and I accidentally discovered that the grounded 120 V ac outlets in our lab was actually 3 phase 120 V power, ground being the third phase. In discussing this with the utility people, the big transformer powering the building was a 3-phase delta output, and not a wye output, so they chose one of the 3 [STRIKE]wye[/STRIKE] delta legs as ground. In order to balance the load, about 1/3 of the building got each pair of outputs from the transformer [STRIKE]wye[/STRIKE] delta. We were in the 1/3 of the building that got the pair where ground was the third [STRIKE]wye[/STRIKE] delta leg. How could a polyphase transformer correct this problem?

[Edit] three strikes [STRIKE]wye[/STRIKE] delta

Last edited:
Good question; that's an...odd setup, to say the least. I'll have to mull it over a bit. What they should have done is use a delta-wye transformer. Any idea why they didn't?

negitron said:
Good question; that's an...odd setup, to say the least. I'll have to mull it over a bit. What they should have done is use a delta-wye transformer. Any idea why they didn't?
Cost too much to replace.

Apparently, this is an uncommon, but not unheard-of setup (rare enough that I'm only just finding out about it) known as a http://ecatalog.squared.com/pubs/Electrical%20Distribution/Pressure%20Switches,%20Bolt-Loc/BP/2700DB0202.pdf . As long as everything is balanced and it's wired properly, no corrective action is needed.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a neutral compensator?

A neutral compensator is a device used in electrical systems to balance the flow of current between two or more phases. It works by introducing an equal and opposite voltage to the system, effectively cancelling out any imbalances in current flow.

How does a neutral compensator work?

A neutral compensator works by monitoring the current flow between phases and introducing a compensating voltage when an imbalance is detected. This keeps the system in balance and prevents damage to equipment.

Why is a neutral compensator important?

A neutral compensator is important because it helps maintain the stability and efficiency of electrical systems. It prevents overloading of circuits, minimizes power loss, and extends the lifespan of equipment.

What are the types of neutral compensators?

The two main types of neutral compensators are resistive and reactive. Resistive neutral compensators use resistors to balance current flow, while reactive compensators use inductors or capacitors to introduce a reactive voltage.

What are the benefits of using a neutral compensator?

The benefits of using a neutral compensator include improved power quality, reduced power loss, increased system stability, and protection of equipment from overloading. It can also help prevent voltage fluctuations and harmonics in the system.