Calculate Neutral Electrons for Aluminium Nail

In summary, the tutor confessed that he has not covered this topic in class, but decided to leave it into the practice questions. He provided an equation to equal the answer, which was 2.0x10^13. The only way to get the actual answer is to use the equation.
Salerk
Last question out of all the ones I've done has got me 100% stumped, went and asked the tutor and he confessed he has not coverd this at all but desided to leave it into the practice questions, so wondering if anyone here might be able to explain how this works.

Homework Statement

An aluminium nail has an excess charge of +3.2 µC. How many electrons must be added to the nail to make it electrically neutral?

Homework Equations

as far as I know an electron is 1.6x10^-19

the tutor scribbled down quick since he was heading home what I beleave was ment to be the equation to equal the answer.

C=3.2x10^-6

The Attempt at a Solution

Im not even sure how he came to that conclusion, more than an aswer would anyone be able to explain how he got to where he is, or give me something to work on, to work it out.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use units to be sure you get the right answer.

3.2 [uC] / 1.6x10^-19 [C/e-] = ?

Be sure to remember that 1uC = 10-6C

berkeman said:
You can use units to be sure you get the right answer.

3.2 [uC] / 1.6x10^-19 [C/e-] = ?

Be sure to remember that 1uC = 10-6C

Thanks that helped some, and I've been trying to backwards work the equation. Based on the test questions the answer is 2.0x10^13

The only way I can obtain that actuall answer is to make the equation.

3.2x10^-6 / 1.6x10^19 = 2.0x10^13

Is this pure chance or is there some step I am not quite geting that allows for the units to change from positive to negative?

Not random at all. See how the units help you to figure out what to do?

(total charge) / (charge per electron) = (number of electrons)

not quite, I understand that if its a postive charge on the nail ill need to add a negative charge to counter it.

and that the total charge devided by the charge per electron would show the number of electrons required, all I can't get is why 1.6x10^-19 needs to become 1.6x10^19 in order to give the corect answer.

Salerk said:
not quite, I understand that if its a postive charge on the nail ill need to add a negative charge to counter it.

and that the total charge devided by the charge per electron would show the number of electrons required, all I can't get is why 1.6x10^-19 needs to become 1.6x10^19 in order to give the corect answer.

I think you are using your calculator incorrectly. There is no way that 10^-6/10^19 = 10^13.

Maybe try it again, and be careful with the exponent signs on the calculator?

Perhaps there is an issue with my calculator then, because it keeps giving me 2x10^13 every time.

Casio: fx-85ES.

entered in as (3.2x10^-6) Devide (1.6x10^19) = 2x10^13

Edit. Its done this to me once before, not sure why but had to remove batterys and replace them then just did it, and now calculation is working as (3.2x10^-6) Devide (1.6x10^-19) = 2x10^13

The odd thing is tho, settings are as before. maby i got a duff calc.

Thanks for all your help.

Last edited:
Then just do it by hand instead. 3.2/1.6 = 2.0 and 10^-6/10-19 = 10^(-6+19) = ?

I have no idea what is going on with your calculator or the entry sequence. Try some simple stuff like 10^2/10^4 and 10^-2/10^-4 to figure out where the problem is.

1. How many neutral electrons does an aluminium nail have?

An aluminium nail has 13 neutral electrons.

2. How do you calculate the number of neutral electrons in an aluminium nail?

To calculate the number of neutral electrons in an aluminium nail, you need to know the atomic number of aluminium, which is 13. This means that the nucleus of an aluminium atom contains 13 protons. Since atoms are electrically neutral, an aluminium atom also contains 13 electrons, which are negatively charged. Therefore, an aluminium nail, which is made up of many aluminium atoms, will have 13 times the number of atoms as its neutral electrons, resulting in a total of 13 neutral electrons.

3. Why is it important to calculate the number of neutral electrons in an aluminium nail?

Calculating the number of neutral electrons in an aluminium nail is important because it helps us understand the properties and behavior of the nail. Electrons are responsible for the chemical and physical properties of an element, and knowing the number of neutral electrons in an aluminium nail can help us predict how it will interact with other substances. Additionally, this information is essential for conducting experiments and research related to aluminium nails.

4. Can the number of neutral electrons in an aluminium nail change?

No, the number of neutral electrons in an aluminium nail cannot change unless the nail undergoes a nuclear reaction. In a stable atom, the number of electrons is equal to the number of protons in the nucleus, which does not change. However, if an atom undergoes radioactive decay or nuclear fusion, the number of protons and electrons can change, resulting in a different number of neutral electrons.

5. How does the number of neutral electrons in an aluminium nail compare to other elements?

The number of neutral electrons in an aluminium nail (13) is relatively low compared to other elements. For example, elements in the first row of the periodic table, such as hydrogen and helium, have only 1 and 2 neutral electrons, respectively. On the other hand, elements in the last row, such as gold and lead, have 79 and 82 neutral electrons, respectively. This shows that the number of neutral electrons in an element can vary greatly and determines its position on the periodic table.