How do neutral particle accelerators work?

In summary: This leaves the neutron, which has a much higher energy.In summary, an Neutral particle accelerator accelerates neutrons to high velocity.
alexbib
I have seen a few references to neutral particle accelerators, anybody know how they work? For example, how would it be possible to accelerate a neutron to near-c velocity?

Physics news on Phys.org
not sure if this is relevant at all

ok, I am not sure if this would be of any reference or if I am just talking out of my ass here but the only way i could think of accelerating neutons would be to bombard them with free quarks because maybe that would cause a charge if a atomic quark was knocked off...however i don't know if that's even possible so ...whatever lol

Perhaps photonic pressure via lasers would work.

When a particle accelerator dumps the beam (I understand that all have this capability, as a safety measure if nothing else), a pretty intense beam of neutral particles, traveling at c, is created.

The particles are called neutrinos.

Neutral beams may be created by collisions between proton beams and nuclei (e. g., that of deuterium), and collimated by specifically aligned materials.

A rather familar "neutral particle accelerator" is (drum roll...) gravity.

a pretty good summary of the neturino is in nova's the gohst particle

alexbib said:
I have seen a few references to neutral particle accelerators, anybody know how they work? For example, how would it be possible to accelerate a neutron to near-c velocity?

It would have been useful if you actually CITE these references. If not, all you will get will be ambiguous responses as we try to grope in the dark to see if any of what we answer actually hit your target.

Zz.

alexbib said:
The most commen way of producing a beam of high energy neutrons is by accelerating deuterons and then stripping the proton off in a collision with a thin target.

1. What is a neutral particle accelerator?

A neutral particle accelerator is a scientific instrument used to accelerate neutral particles, such as atoms or molecules, to very high speeds in order to study their properties and interactions.

2. How does a neutral particle accelerator work?

A neutral particle accelerator works by using electromagnetic fields to accelerate neutral particles along a specific path, typically in a circular or linear trajectory. The particles are then directed towards a target or collision chamber where their interactions can be observed and studied.

3. What are the applications of neutral particle accelerators?

Neutral particle accelerators have a wide range of applications, including fundamental research in particle physics, material science, and nuclear medicine. They are also used in industrial processes such as ion implantation and materials modification.

4. Are there different types of neutral particle accelerators?

Yes, there are different types of neutral particle accelerators, each with their own unique design and purpose. Some common types include cyclotrons, synchrotrons, and linear accelerators. Each type has its own advantages and is used for different scientific experiments.

5. What are the benefits of using a neutral particle accelerator?

Using a neutral particle accelerator allows scientists to study the properties and interactions of particles that cannot be observed under normal conditions. This can lead to a better understanding of the fundamental building blocks of the universe and has practical applications in various industries.