Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Neutral pion decay

1. Apr 2, 2016 #1
    Hi everyone,
    I am curious about how a neutral pion decays in two photons. I don't understand how it is possible since the pion has spin = 1 and the photons have spin = 1 as well: doesn't this mean that spin is not conserved in this decay? What am I missing?

Another question I have is about spin: do anti-particles and anti-quarks have negative spin, or is the spin always positive?

Sorry for the silly questions and thanks to everyone in advance :)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2016 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Perhaps the pion doesn't have spin 1? If the pion has spin 0, say, that might indeed make it a silly question.

4. Apr 2, 2016 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

How sure are you that the pion has spin 1?

5. Apr 2, 2016 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Apart from this, it is perfectly possible for two spin-1 particles to couple to a spin-1 so even if the pion had spin 1 it would not be that strange.

6. Apr 2, 2016 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Actually, a spin-1 particle cannot decay to two photons. See Yang, Physical Review 77: 242–245 (1950).

7. Apr 2, 2016 #6

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Not disputing that. All I am saying is that it is not as easy as saying ##1+1 \neq 1##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted