Neutrino Based Thruster

• Thread starter stoneboy
  • Start date
stoneboy
I am working on a neutrion based thruster to be used in atmosphere, somewhat based on the A Cavity-Type negative ion source. Actually it is the next generation using neutrinos as the energy source. I saw your post and thought you might be someone to bounce some of the ideas off.

Our original concept is based on two neutrality conditions. like the -I source that an equal number of + and - ions must be expelled from the thruster and an intimate intermingling of the + and - ion beams to form an overall neutral plasma having little or no interaction with the ion acceleration systems is the second condition.

The device can best be explained as a NBT (neutrion based thruster) that is "connecting" to the neutrinos and propelling then thru the thruster. Our easiest discription is to equate it to a cable car that gets it "power" from touching the live electrical cable. In our case the device while moving is engaging the neutrinos always present and this is where the energy or 'power" is coming from.

Comments?

Stoneboy

Answers and Replies

Sounds like something straight out of Star Trek.

Judging by your first line, it appears you meant this to be a PM. If not, I'm calling spam.

Don't know what a neutrion is, perhaps you could elaborate? Not even Google is throwing back results for it.

Chi Meson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
How's the prototype going?

How's the prototype going?

Would I be right in thinking neutrinos don't interact with anything (or at least very little)? If so, it sounds like this dude has mastered them!

Chi Meson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Would I be right in thinking neutrinos don't interact with anything (or at least very little)? If so, it sounds like this dude has mastered them!

They're chargless, and nearly massless, so interaction with anything requires a direct hit on a nucleus. Furthermore, a "low-energy" neutrino won't do anything detectable even if there is a direct hit. One-thousandth of one percent of all solar neutrinos that hit the earth are actually stopped by the earth.

And, to top it off, if one has a source of neutrinos, then their source of energy is actually the radioactive substance or nuclear reaction that propels them. Kinda like setting off a stick of dynamite, and saying "I'll bet I can harness the energy of all that fast-moving smoke!"

Kinda like setting off a stick of dynamite, and saying "I'll bet I can harness the energy of all that fast-moving smoke!"

:rofl:

ideasrule
Homework Helper
And, to top it off, if one has a source of neutrinos, then their source of energy is actually the radioactive substance or nuclear reaction that propels them. Kinda like setting off a stick of dynamite, and saying "I'll bet I can harness the energy of all that fast-moving smoke!"

To be fair, it's the momentum that matters, and neutrinos carry away a significant fraction of the reaction's momentum. If there was a way to direct the neutrinos in the right direction, we could avoid using precious atoms as the reaction mass. Considering that the mean free path of a neutrino in lead is about 1 light year, I don't think this idea is very practical.

Kinda like setting off a stick of dynamite, and saying "I'll bet I can harness the energy of all that fast-moving smoke!"

Well I'm just 17 so I may be wrong but thing is the air expands massively (and the smoke particles are part of the air) due to the pressure so that wouldn't be very hard. It's like harnessing energy from high-temperature air.

Well I'm just 17 so I may be wrong but thing is the air expands massively (and the smoke particles are part of the air) due to the pressure so that wouldn't be very hard. It's like harnessing energy from high-temperature air.

I think you may have missed the point.

oh i just read his entire post. never mind.