1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Neutrino Black Holes?

1. May 27, 2010 #1
    Hm, I wonder since neutrino's have no electric charge or color charge, but do have mass, is it possible for two neutrinos to come so close together that they collapse on themselves? Although the gravitational field between just two neutrinos is extremely small, it should still be possible right if they have no other interaction with each other?

Of course, the idea could be expanded to LOTS of neutrinos, but I am curious of just two.
    What would happen??

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2010 #2
    No. I calculated the schwarzchild radius of two of the largest neutrino mass estimations I could find to be significantly smaller than a planck length.
  4. May 27, 2010 #3
    Wow, how interesting! So the planck length is really considered to be the smallest length?
  5. May 27, 2010 #4

Science Advisor

Indeed, if you had a bunch of neutrinos you could form a black hole.

As for the planck length, it's not really the smallest length. It's the approximate length scale at which we think Quantum Gravity will become important. So I guess you could say it's the smallest length scale we can reasonably probe with our current theories, since we have no good theory of QG right now.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook