Neutrino Blast Dangers Exposed: Alien: Covenant & Beyond

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of lethal neutrinos and the energy they deliver to the retina. The link provided was about the brightness of a supernova compared to a hydrogen bomb explosion, and the fragility of humans compared to spacecraft components when exposed to radiation. It was mentioned that 4 Sv can kill a human, while most electronics can withstand that level of radiation. However, a 1 MSv exposure can cause damage to purely structural material and even some electronic components. Ultimately, if there is damage to the ship, the humans on board would not survive.
stoomart
Last night I was watching the latest Alien: Covenant movie, where the crew and colonist are brought out of cryosleep to repair damages to the ship caused by a "neutrino blast". This didn't sit well with me, so I did some searching and thought I'd share what I found:

Lethal Neutrinos: https://what-if.xkcd.com/73/

Which of the following would be brighter, in terms of the amount of energy delivered to your retina:

1. A supernova, seen from as far away as the Sun is from the Earth, or

2. The detonation of a hydrogen bomb pressed against your eyeball?

Physics news on Phys.org
... and humans are much more fragile than spacecraft components.

4 Sv can kill a human, while most electronics will survive that easily. Purely structural material will survive 1 MSv without notable damage, and even some electronic components can survive that.

If there is damage to the ship, the humans are dead.

Likes stoomart

1. What is a neutrino blast?

A neutrino blast is a high-energy burst of neutrinos, which are subatomic particles that have no charge and very little mass. They are created in extreme environments such as supernovae or high-energy particle collisions.

2. What dangers are associated with neutrino blasts?

The main danger associated with neutrino blasts is radiation exposure. High-energy neutrinos can interact with matter and produce secondary particles that can cause damage to living cells, leading to potential health risks.

3. How does "Alien: Covenant" relate to neutrino blasts?

"Alien: Covenant" is a science fiction movie that explores the idea of using a neutrino blast to terraform a distant planet. The movie portrays the potential dangers and consequences of such a powerful burst of energy.

4. Are neutrino blasts a real threat to Earth?

While neutrino blasts are a natural occurrence in the universe, they are not a significant threat to Earth. The majority of high-energy neutrinos coming from space are filtered out by our atmosphere, and the ones that do reach the planet are relatively harmless due to their low interaction rate with matter.

5. What is being done to protect against neutrino blasts?

The scientific community is continuously monitoring and studying neutrinos to better understand their behavior and potential risks. In the case of a potential neutrino blast, early warning systems can be put in place to alert people to take appropriate precautions and minimize exposure.

Back