1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Neutrino detection by inverse beta decay

1. Oct 31, 2005 #1
    Hi,

I have the following question: Neutrinos can be detected by an inverse beta-decay. The probability for an interaction of a neutrino and a proton is 10^(-43). How large should be a detector filled with water in order to let interact one of 1 million neutrinos with a proton? What would be the mass of the filling of the detector?

I am not sure how to proceed. I know the number of protons in a water molecule but how can I get the dimensions of the detector from it? As for the mass filling?
    Shouldn't there be additional information as for example the interaction length of neutrinos, I mean how far they fly before interacting/annealing etc.?

I would be grateful for every hint in the right direction.
    Thanks
    Emil

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2005 #2

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is the mass density of water? How many protons are there per gram of water? Can you use these two numbers to find out the total number of protons in a volume of water?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?