Neutrino detection by inverse beta decay

In summary, the conversation discusses the detection of neutrinos through inverse beta-decay and the probability of interaction between a neutrino and a proton. The question is raised about the size and mass of a detector filled with water in order to allow for interactions between 1 million neutrinos and protons. There is uncertainty about how to obtain the dimensions of the detector and the mass filling, as well as potential factors such as the interaction length of neutrinos. The conversation also mentions the mass density of water and the number of protons per gram, and suggests using these numbers to calculate the total number of protons in a volume of water.
emil2
Hi,

I have the following question: Neutrinos can be detected by an inverse beta-decay. The probability for an interaction of a neutrino and a proton is 10^(-43). How large should be a detector filled with water in order to let interact one of 1 million neutrinos with a proton? What would be the mass of the filling of the detector?

I am not sure how to proceed. I know the number of protons in a water molecule but how can I get the dimensions of the detector from it? As for the mass filling?
Shouldn't there be additional information as for example the interaction length of neutrinos, I mean how far they fly before interacting/annealing etc.?

I would be grateful for every hint in the right direction.
Thanks
Emil

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the mass density of water? How many protons are there per gram of water? Can you use these two numbers to find out the total number of protons in a volume of water?

1. What is neutrino detection by inverse beta decay?

Neutrino detection by inverse beta decay is a method used to detect and measure neutrinos, which are subatomic particles with no charge and extremely small mass. The process involves observing the interaction between a neutrino and a proton, resulting in the production of a positron (the antiparticle of an electron) and a neutron.

2. How does inverse beta decay work?

In inverse beta decay, a high-energy neutrino interacts with a proton, causing it to convert into a neutron. This interaction also produces a positron, which can be detected by a detector surrounding the reaction. By measuring the energy and direction of the positron, scientists can determine the characteristics of the original neutrino.

3. What is the purpose of neutrino detection by inverse beta decay?

The purpose of neutrino detection by inverse beta decay is to study and understand the properties and behavior of neutrinos. These particles are important in many astrophysical and cosmological processes, and studying them can provide valuable insights into the workings of the universe.

4. What are the challenges of neutrino detection by inverse beta decay?

One of the main challenges of this method is that neutrinos interact very rarely with other particles, making them difficult to detect. Additionally, the energy of the neutrino is not always known, making it harder to accurately measure its properties. The use of advanced detectors and technology has helped to overcome some of these challenges.

5. How is neutrino detection by inverse beta decay used in scientific research?

Neutrino detection by inverse beta decay is used in many areas of scientific research, such as astrophysics, particle physics, and nuclear physics. It has been instrumental in the discovery and study of neutrino oscillations, which have provided important insights into the nature of these elusive particles and their role in the universe.