1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Neutrino mixing

1. Feb 12, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In some theory the electron neutrinos and the muon neutrinos mix like this:
    [tex]\mathcal{L}_{m} &= -\frac{1}{2}m\left(\overline{ \nu^{C}_{\mu\text{R}} }\nu_{\text{eL}} + \overline{ \nu^{C}_{\text{eR}} }\nu_{\mu\text{L}}\right) + \text{h.c.}[/tex]

Show that there exists a conserving lepton number in this theory. What are the values for [tex]\nu_{\text{e}}[/tex] and [tex]\nu_{\mu}[/tex]? Are the mass eigenstates Dirac neutrinos or Majorana neutrinos? Does the theory fit with the observational data?

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\mathcal{L}_{m} = \dots = -\frac{1}{2}\left(m\overline{ \nu^{C}_{\mu\text{R}} }\nu_{\text{eL}} + m\overline{ \nu^{C}_{\text{eR}} }\nu_{\mu\text{L}}\right) - \frac{1}{2}\left(m\overline{ \nu_{\text{eL}} }\nu_{\mu\text{R}}^{C}+m\overline{ \nu_{\mu\text{L}} }\nu_{\text{eR}}^{C}\right).[/tex] Right?

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, I was just thinking that it must be Dirac type mixing, if there exists a conserving lepton number. So the neutrinos are Dirac neutrinos. Right?

At least, the oscillation fits with the observational data, though in reality there are three types of neutrinos...

But I do not know how to calculate the lepton number. Maybe using the continuity equation and then constructing the Euler-Lagrange equation, but I do not know the exact procedure.

Can you help?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2008 #2
  4. Feb 18, 2008 #3

Homework Helper

I think they are Dirac.
    lepton number conservation? is there some kind of a global symmetry somewhere here?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?