How do neutrinos behave near a black hole?

In summary, neutrinos behave near a black hole in the same way as any other particle, following timelike worldlines and potentially orbiting or falling through the event horizon. Their interaction with gravity is not affected by their small mass, and there is nothing unique about the way they interact with black holes. This is all dependent on spacetime geometry and unaffected by their interaction with matter.
jayaramas
how will a neutrino behave near a block hole? neutrino is having small mass. so it should be sucked into it?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
We know in order to escape a black hole you have to go >c speed. Neutrinos is a form of dark matter, so probably trillions go through a black hole every second, or the particle can't go through it and go into the black hole.

Neutrino's obey gravity to my knowledge and would be not be able to escape the black hole.

DarkScareCrow said:
We know in order to escape a black hole you have to go >c speed. Neutrinos is a form of dark matter, so probably trillions go through a black hole every second, or the particle can't go through it and go into the black hole.

Uh, WHAT? I don't know where you got the idea that neutrinos are a form of dark matter, but that is purely a hypothesis and not a favored one. WIMPS are much more likely to be what dark matter is make up of.

In any event, as drakkith pointed out, they certainly do NOT ... oh, wait a minute. I was about to respond as though you had said that they go through the black hole, but what you actually said was that either they do or they don't. Well, you got me there. It certainly is true that either they do or they don't. In fact they don't.

EDIT: OK, I'm new to this stuff and had not read the history of the search for dark matter but I see now that neutrinos were once a leading contender so I see where you go the idea. I emphasize "WERE ONCE".

Last edited:
phinds said:
Uh, WHAT? I don't know where you got the idea that neutrinos are a form of dark matter, but that is purely a hypothesis and not a favored one. WIMPS are much more likely to be what dark matter is make up of.

In any event, as drakkith pointed out, they certainly do NOT ... oh, wait a minute. I was about to respond as though you had said that they go through the black hole, but what you actually said was that either they do or they don't. Well, you got me there. It certainly is true that either they do or they don't. In fact they don't.

EDIT: OK, I'm new to this stuff and had not read the history of the search for dark matter but I see now that neutrinos were once a leading contender so I see where you go the idea. I emphasize "WERE ONCE".

I know I was wrong. They barely interact with matter, but they aren't dark matter. What happens to neutrino in a black hole is still unknown because neutrinos interact with gravity as Drakkith said.

Well, as long as one is sticking to current mainstream theories there is no question at all. Neutrinos follow timelike worldlines that are nearly light like. If the pass near enough to a black hole horizon, they will orbit it (but probably the orbit will be unstable, leading to: ); if they pass closer than this, they will soon fall through the event horizon (from the neutrino's point of view). They will then reach the singularity pretty quickly, just like light or any other matter. This is all dependent only on spacetime geometry, irrelevant to the way neutrinos interact with matter.

Note, that for an outside observer, neutrinos passing near the horizon will appear be trapped at the horizion forever, just like light and any other type of matter.

Nutshell - there is nothing special about the way neutrinos interact with black holes compared to other particles (unless current theories are substantially wrong).

1. What is a neutrino near a black hole?

A neutrino is a tiny, electrically neutral particle that travels at nearly the speed of light. When it is in close proximity to a black hole, it can be pulled in by the strong gravitational force of the black hole.

2. How does a black hole affect neutrinos?

A black hole can bend the path of a neutrino due to its strong gravitational pull. This can make the neutrino appear to be coming from a different direction than it actually is.

3. Can neutrinos escape from a black hole?

No, neutrinos cannot escape from a black hole. Once they are pulled in by the black hole's gravity, they are unable to escape and are trapped within the event horizon.

4. Why are neutrinos important near black holes?

Studying neutrinos near black holes can provide valuable information about the behavior of matter and energy in extreme environments. Neutrinos can also help us understand the structure and properties of black holes.

5. How can we detect neutrinos near black holes?

Neutrinos are difficult to detect, but scientists use specialized detectors such as neutrino telescopes to capture and study them. These detectors are placed in strategic locations to intercept the neutrinos and measure their properties.