Answer: Solve Neutrino Oscillations Eigenvalues & Eigenvectors

In summary, the given Hamiltonian for the electron and muon neutrino is not on the standard form used in neutrino oscillations, with the angle in the Hamiltonian being incorrect and the signs of Δ on the diagonal being switched between the two neutrino states. With these corrections, the eigenvalues can be found by solving the eigenvector equation, and the resulting eigenstates can be rewritten in terms of the correct angle 2θ. The quantity Δ represents the difference in mass between the two neutrino states, and is given by Δ = Δm^2/2E.
Lawrencel2

Homework Statement

Considering just the electron and the muon neutrino, The Free hamiltonian is written in this basis as:

H = 1/2 (E + Δ Cos[θ]) |Ve><Ve| + 1/2 Δ Sin[θ] |Vu><Ve| + 1/2 Δ Sin[θ]|Ve><Vu| + 1/2 (E - Δ Cos[θ]) |Vu><Vu|

Since H is not diagonal in this basis, they will exhibit oscillations between them. Find the eigenstates |V1> and |V2> along with the eigenvalues E1 and E2.

Homework Equations

Book gives us:
|Ve> = Cos(θ) |V1> - Sin(θ)

|V2> |Vu> = Sin(θ)|V1> +Cos(θ) |V2>

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to do:
solve for the Eigenvalues using the eq: H-λI = 0

I arrived at two eigenvalues E1=1/2 (Δ +E) and E2=1/2 (E-Δ).

I put these two eigenvalues back in, and solve for the EigenVectors using H|v1> = E2 |v1>.
Then H|v2> = E2 |v2>...

I arrived at:

|v1> = {{(1+Cos(θ))/Sin(θ)},{1}}

|v2> = {{(1+Cos(θ))/Sin(θ)},{1}}

Now I Don't think I made an error in the math per say, but I do feel as though i should have had to do something to the non diagonal H before i attempted to find the eigenvalues?

Physics news on Phys.org
You do not have to do anything to the non-diagonal Hamiltonian apart from solving the eigenvector equation correctly (which you have not done - your eigenvalues seem correct, but you cannot have the same eigenvector for two different eigenvalues).

One thing to check is your Hamiltonian which is not on the standard form used in neutrino oscillations. The angle in the Hamiltonian should be ##2\theta## and the sign of ##\Delta## on the diagonal is switched between electron and muon neutrinos.

The quoted eigenvectors are wrong with this definition of the Hamiltonian.

Orodruin said:
You do not have to do anything to the non-diagonal Hamiltonian apart from solving the eigenvector equation correctly (which you have not done - your eigenvalues seem correct, but you cannot have the same eigenvector for two different eigenvalues).

One thing to check is your Hamiltonian which is not on the standard form used in neutrino oscillations. The angle in the Hamiltonian should be ##2\theta## and the sign of ##\Delta## on the diagonal is switched between electron and muon neutrinos.

The quoted eigenvectors are wrong with this definition of the Hamiltonian.
AHHH I actually typed my eigenstates in wrong from what i have here on mathematica!
V2 is supposed to be a minus instead!
And I am not sure what to do about the Hamiltonian issue, as it was provided to us on the problem statement.
I don't quite understand what Δ is supposed to represent in this case, besides something with units of energy?

Lawrencel2 said:

Homework Statement

Considering just the electron and the muon neutrino, The Free hamiltonian is written in this basis as:

H = 1/2 (E + Δ Cos[θ]) |Ve><Ve| + 1/2 Δ Sin[θ] |Vu><Ve| + 1/2 Δ Sin[θ]|Ve><Vu| + 1/2 (E - Δ Cos[θ]) |Vu><Vu|

Since H is not diagonal in this basis, they will exhibit oscillations between them. Find the eigenstates |V1> and |V2> along with the eigenvalues E1 and E2.

Homework Equations

Book gives us:
|Ve> = Cos(θ) |V1> - Sin(θ)|V2>

|Vu> = Sin(θ)|V1> +Cos(θ) |V2>

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to do:
solve for the Eigenvalues using the eq: H-λI = 0

I arrived at two eigenvalues E1=1/2 (Δ +E) and E2=1/2 (E-Δ).

I put these two eigenvalues back in, and solve for the EigenVectors using H|v1> = E2 |v1>.
Then H|v2> = E2 |v2>...

I arrived at:

|v1> = {{(1+Cos(θ))/Sin(θ)},{1}}

|v2> = {{(-1+Cos(θ))/Sin(θ)},{1}}

Now I Don't think I made an error in the math per say, but I do feel as though i should have had to do something to the non diagonal H before i attempted to find the eigenvalues?
Edit

Lawrencel2 said:
And I am not sure what to do about the Hamiltonian issue, as it was provided to us on the problem statement.

If the problem statement has exactly that Hamiltonian and quotes those eigenstates, then it is simply wrong. This can be easily checked by simply acting on one of the eigenstates with the Hamiltonian and seeing that what you get out is not proportional to the original state. If you change the ##\theta## in the eigenstates to ##\theta/2## it might work out. I suggest you rewrite your eigenstates in terms of ##\theta/2## by using the trigonometric expressions for the double angle (do not forget to normalise the states).

The quantity ##\Delta## is usually given by
$$
\Delta = \frac{\Delta m^2}{2E},
$$
where ##\Delta m^2 = m_2^2 - m_1^2## and ##m_i## is the mass of the ##i##th neutrino mass eigenstate. Heuristically, you can see this by expanding ##E =\sqrt{p^2 + m^2}## in the ultra-relativistic limit, which gives you ##E = p + m^2/(2p)## - and energy and momentum in this limit are essentially interchangeable. But as I said, this given Hamiltonian has some issues with respect to the standard definitions.

1. What are neutrino oscillations?

Neutrino oscillations are the phenomenon in which neutrinos, which are subatomic particles, change from one type to another as they travel through space. This is due to the fact that neutrinos exist in three different flavors: electron, muon, and tau. They can change from one flavor to another through a process called oscillation.

2. What are eigenvalues and eigenvectors?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors are mathematical concepts that are used to describe the properties of a system. In the case of neutrino oscillations, they are used to determine the likelihood of a neutrino changing from one flavor to another. Eigenvalues are the possible values that a system can have, while eigenvectors are the corresponding directions or states that the system can take on.

3. How are eigenvalues and eigenvectors used to solve neutrino oscillations?

In order to solve neutrino oscillations, scientists use equations known as Schrödinger's equations. These equations describe the behavior of particles in quantum mechanics. By finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of these equations, scientists can determine the probability of a neutrino changing from one flavor to another.

4. Why is solving neutrino oscillations important?

Solving neutrino oscillations is important because it helps us better understand the fundamental properties of neutrinos and the universe as a whole. Neutrino oscillations have also been linked to the concept of mass, which is an important component in the standard model of particle physics. By understanding neutrino oscillations, we can gain insight into the structure and evolution of the universe.

5. Are there any applications of solving neutrino oscillations?

Yes, there are several potential applications of solving neutrino oscillations. For example, studying neutrino oscillations can help us improve our understanding of nuclear physics and nuclear reactions. It can also have practical applications in fields such as energy production and medical imaging. Additionally, understanding neutrino oscillations can lead to advancements in technology, such as more efficient solar panels and more accurate detection of radioactive materials.