Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Neutrino Vs. Black Hole

1. Mar 22, 2012 #1
    How would a neutrino act in regards to a black hole? As in approaching, passing by or "colliding" with a black hole?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2012 #2
    Essentially the same as a light beam, since neutrinos travel at essentially the speed of light. If you fire one at the black hole it will fall in. If you fire it past the black hole its path will be bent, just like that of a beam of light. If you are far away from a black hole and look at neutrinos emitted from near the black hole they will be "red-shifted" (i.e., have lower energy than they had when they were emitted), just as light is red-shifted in traveling away from a large mass.

4. Mar 22, 2012 #3
    I can now see how a neutrino would interact act with a black hole due to the massiveness of a neutrino so it would act as any other particle would; however how does its properties give it the same interactive characteristics as a photon? But being the fact that neutrinos are extremely weakly interacting particles and photons are very interactive particles does that mean they have the same reaction to Doppler Shift and gravitational attraction? A neutrino has mass, a photon doesn't. A photon interacts strongly with everyday materials, a neutrino doesn't. A photon interacts with a electric field, but a neutrino doesn't because it has no charge. So there is no obvious reason as to why a neutrino should react the same as a photon.

5. Mar 22, 2012 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Are you asking a question or are you answering it?

6. Mar 22, 2012 #5
    I asked a question, it was answered and it brought up another question. I am confused with the answer The Duck gave, as to the validity of the answer. Since the only thing that neutrinos have roughly in common with photons, besides being an elementary particle, is the speed at which they both travel. As I stated previously, they are two very different particles. So why wouldn't a neutrino act otherwise.

7. Mar 22, 2012 #6
    Because while neutrinos interact very weakly with matter, they are still subject to gravity, just as photons are.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook