Neutrino vs. Photon Momentum at Fixed Energy

In summary: ).Don’t worry, we all write things that come across the wrong way from time to time. Myself included. What sets people apart is if they can realize and accept when it has happened and learn from it or not. (I myself still have to work very hard not to start many posts ”This is wrong.” when correcting posts I disagree with....).
bob012345
Gold Member
I'm interested in knowing the ratio of momentum for a neutrino vs. a photon when both have the same energy. Alternatively, my spaceship engine can release 1GW of either a photon beam or a neutrino beam. How much relative thrust will the neutrino beam give me for the same energy (and power) as compared to the photon beam. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a serious question. The second part was just put there for fun to illustrate the nature of the issue. I wish it hadn't been moved to here from particle physics. Makes me feel like I asked a stupid question.

This depends on the energy. Photons are massless so their momentum is equal to their energy. Neutrinos are massive so their momentum is anywhere between zero and their energy - depending on the energy.

Orodruin said:
This depends on the energy. Photons are massless so their momentum is equal to their energy. Neutrinos are massive so their momentum is anywhere between zero and their energy - depending on the energy.
Makes it sound like photons have more momentum than neutrinos for the same energy. Seems backwards. I also have an issue with the statement that the photon momentum equals it's energy. Only in the units where c=1. Please use MKS.

bob012345 said:
Makes it sound like photons have more momentum than neutrinos for the same energy. Seems backwards.
If you are not going to accept the correct answer and calling it backwards without saying why then why do you bother to ask?

Orodruin said:
If you are not going to accept the correct answer and calling it backwards without saying why then why do you bother to ask?
I didn't say it WAS backwards, I said it SEEMS backwards. If I was clear I wouldn't have asked the question. Anyway, I see the answer now. When you create the neutrinos, a lot of the energy gets locked up in the mass and the momentum of that moving mass probably doesn't match the momentum of the photon if we are talking about the total relativistic energy of both entities being the same. So the photon always has the highest ratio of momentum to total relativistic energy of anything. Thanks.

Last edited:
bob012345 said:
When you create the neutrinos, a lot of the energy gets locked up in the mass and the momentum of that moving mass probably doesn't match the momentum of the photon if we are talking about the total relativistic energy of both entities being the same.
Well, ”a lot” is overstating it a bit, neutrinos are very light - so light that in all cases where we have studied them, their momenum has been so close to their energy that they have been experimentallt indistinguishable (only through a quantum interference phenomenon do we have knowledge of the neutrino mass being non-zero).

The appropriate equation relating energy, momentum, and mass is ##E^2 = m^2 + p^2##.

bob012345 said:
I didn't say it WAS backwards, I said it SEEMS backwards.
If you reread your post and think about how it comes across after someone spent time to give you an answer, try to reconstruct how it will be perceived. You gave no indication of a further question or about what you thought was strange. This reads very dismissive and not at all as if you are ready to accept the answer if convinced on the issues you find weird. Essentially everything that was missing from the cookiecutter post of such a person was the ”LOL” in the end.

Orodruin said:
Well, ”a lot” is overstating it a bit, neutrinos are very light - so light that in all cases where we have studied them, their momenum has been so close to their energy that they have been experimentallt indistinguishable (only through a quantum interference phenomenon do we have knowledge of the neutrino mass being non-zero).

The appropriate equation relating energy, momentum, and mass is ##E^2 = m^2 + p^2##.If you reread your post and think about how it comes across after someone spent time to give you an answer, try to reconstruct how it will be perceived. You gave no indication of a further question or about what you thought was strange. This reads very dismissive and not at all as if you are ready to accept the answer if convinced on the issues you find weird. Essentially everything that was missing from the cookiecutter post of such a person was the ”LOL” in the end.
I apologize for my tone. I didn't intend it to come across so strong. I thank you for your answers.

bob012345 said:
I apologize for my tone.
Don’t worry, we all write things that come across the wrong way from time to time. Myself included. What sets people apart is if they can realize and accept when it has happened and learn from it or not. (I myself still have to work very hard not to start many posts ”This is wrong.” when correcting posts I disagree with. I typically do not mean it as something personal, just factual, but it can really come across awkwardly if the recipient takes it the wrong way. Tone is not conveyed well in writing.)

1. What is the difference between neutrino and photon momentum at fixed energy?

The difference lies in their mass and velocity. Neutrinos have a very small mass compared to photons, and they travel at nearly the speed of light. On the other hand, photons have zero mass and always travel at the speed of light.

2. How does the momentum of a neutrino compare to that of a photon at the same energy?

At the same energy, the momentum of a neutrino is typically much smaller than that of a photon. This is because the momentum of a particle is directly proportional to its mass, and as mentioned before, neutrinos have a very small mass compared to photons.

3. Can neutrinos and photons have the same momentum at fixed energy?

No, they cannot. This is due to the fact that neutrinos have a non-zero rest mass, while photons have zero rest mass. Therefore, even at the same energy, the momentum of a neutrino will always be smaller than that of a photon.

4. How does the momentum of a neutrino change with increasing energy?

As the energy of a neutrino increases, its momentum also increases. This is because the momentum of a particle is directly proportional to its energy. However, due to the small mass of neutrinos, the increase in momentum is not as significant as it would be for a particle with a larger mass.

5. Why is the momentum of a photon always fixed at the speed of light?

This is because photons have zero rest mass, meaning they are always traveling at the speed of light. Since the speed of light is a constant, the momentum of a photon is also constant and cannot be changed.