Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Neutrino ?

1. Oct 29, 2009 #1
    p ----> n + 2v where v = neutrino , tell me why the combination of a neutrino and anti neutrino is observed and how to expreimentally distinguish b/w neutrino and anti neutrino ?

It is chargeless ,almost massless , is it related to the spin , how to make a neutrino interact with a target particle?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2009 #2
    Proton does not decay this way: the charge and energy conservation laws forbid it.

There is a whole neutrino science (processes involved, detectors, etc.).

4. Oct 29, 2009 #3
    Give me some idea, something on it ...

5. Oct 29, 2009 #4
    For that I have to make a search for you. Maybe you will do it, or somebody else?

6. Oct 29, 2009 #5
  7. Oct 29, 2009 #6
    proton "decay" [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] is not allowed by energy conservation, except in neutron-deficient nuclei, when a proton can "decay" into a neutron, a positron, and an electron neutrino. The proton "decay" to a neutron can also go via electron capture from the 1s atomic level. The "decay" has to conserve energy, charge, and lepton number.
    Bob S

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook