Neutron fission cross section

Hey all,

Does anyone happen to know the value of ν∑f for natural uranium? Here ν is the average number of neutron released from fission and ∑f is the macroscopic fission cross section of uranium.

Kirk

Answers and Replies

jim hardy
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
Dearly Missed
I'll wager there's a CANDU reactor engineer aboard who knows.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Hey all,

Does anyone happen to know the value of ν∑f for natural uranium? Here ν is the average number of neutron released from fission and ∑f is the macroscopic fission cross section of uranium.

Kirk
Developing a value for ∑f depends on the atomic density, which depends on the form, e.g., elemental, alloy or ceramic. What form is one considering? The value of ν depends on neutron energy, and in a thermal spectrum, it will depend on U-235.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Yeah, but that's for fast neutrons. Fast neutrons from fission have a peak distribution around 1 MeV and the energy distribution falls off rapidly up to 10 MeV. With d+t fusion, one gets up to 14.1 MeV neutrons. To go higher, one pretty much needs 20+ MeV protons and spallation reactions.

The OP did mention whether he flux was thermal, epithermal or fast.

jim hardy
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
Dearly Missed
The OP didn't mention whether he flux was thermal, epithermal or fast.
Fixed it for ya

old jim

Likes CalcNerd and Astronuc
Yeah, but that's for fast neutrons. Fast neutrons from fission have a peak distribution around 1 MeV and the energy distribution falls off rapidly up to 10 MeV. With d+t fusion, one gets up to 14.1 MeV neutrons. To go higher, one pretty much needs 20+ MeV protons and spallation reactions.

The OP did mention whether he flux was thermal, epithermal or fast.
Hey guys,

You were right, I definitely did leave out that vital bit of information. I was simply looking for the macroscopic cross section for thermal neutrons. I was modeling a sub-critical pile with a large amount of graphite moderation. Turns out I was able to find a ν∑f for UO2 to thermal neutrons to be about 0.2274 cm^-1. This was from the good ole D&H tables.

Kirk

Likes Astronuc and jim hardy