Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Neutron Lepton interaction

1. Nov 28, 2005 #1
    I understand the difference between the two main Neutron decays but, is there an observable difference when an electron collides with a neutron compared to a positron colliding with a neutron?
    In particular, I need to know if there is a difference in the behaviour of the neutron.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2005 #2

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When a positron collides with a neutron, "inverse beta decay" can occur.
    The process is positron + neutron --> proton + antineutrino.
    This can't happen when an electron interacts with a neutron.

For either positron or electron, there will be scattering from the neuton due to the neutron's magnetic dipole moment. This is the same for electron and positron.

At high momentum transfer, there will also be scattering due to the electric form factor of the neutron.

"... the two main Neutron decays" I don't know what you mean by this.
    I only know one decay mode for
    neutron --> proton + electron +antineutrino.

4. Nov 29, 2005 #3
    I only know one decay mode for
    neutron --> proton + electron +antineutrino.

I read somewhere that neutron--->positron+neutrino is observed on occassions.

5. Nov 29, 2005 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

But that doesn't conserve electric charge. I've never heard of a decay that does that! You must have mis-read something.

6. Nov 29, 2005 #5
    Nor baryon or lepton number. (Though there are searches for lepton number violation and baryone number violation, though I believe that baryon number violation has a pretty strict limit based on experiment.) The poster must just have mis-read something.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?