1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Neutron precession?

1. May 11, 2008 #1
    We all know that the magnetic moment is (gq/2m)J, so then why does a neutron precess in a magnetic field if q=0? This should cause the Hamiltonian to be 0.

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2008 #2
    neutrons precess in a magnetic field?
    neutrons aren't even stable alone... can you elaborate on the background?

4. May 11, 2008 #3
    Hmm... ok, so I think I figured it out. Even though it is uncharged, it has charged quarks. Unlike the electron, neutrons aren't elementary so I can't think of them in that way. This explains why it does precess, as my paper indicates you can actually observe the interfence pattern caused by a 2pi rotation (which introduces the new wavefunction to be the negative of the original).

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  5. May 13, 2008 #4

pam

Your formula (gq/2m)J is a classical oversimplification. For neutral (or charged) particles,
    the magnetic moment is written as (mu)e/2m, where e is the magnitude of the electron charge, and e/2m (the nuclear magneton for hadrons) is just a convenient scale factor. In these units mu=+2.79 for the proton and -1.91 for the neutron.

6. May 13, 2008 #5
    Quark charge has an appreciable effect on the motion of a neutron in a B-field?
    Thats cool... can you site the article?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?