Neutron Production and Capture: Can Neutrons from Deuterium be Used for Fusion?

In summary: What method do you have in mind to separate the neutrons from the 2H?I've been reading a little on this - you can use a small neutron generator which accelerates deuterons into a deuterium target. You get a few DD fusion reactions, which produce a neutron. Also, you could use a Farnsworth fusor. They work on a similar principle.I get the impression though that these reactions have very low cross-sections and wouldn't produce the number of neutrons necessary to generate any meaningful neutron flux. Still, it's pretty tempting.
Smacal1072
The binding energy for nucleon in a light atom (like deuterium) is lower than the binding energy for nucleon in a heavier, more stable element like iron.

Suppose you remove the neutron from the light atom, and allow it to conjoin (by neutron capture) with an element that had an atomic number near that of iron. Since the nucleon goes from a state of low binding energy to high binding energy, would this reaction be exothermic?

I think you see where I'm going with this. Any comments?

Physics news on Phys.org
Smacal1072 said:
The binding energy for nucleon in a light atom (like deuterium) is lower than the binding energy for nucleon in a heavier, more stable element like iron.

Suppose you remove the neutron from the light atom, and allow it to conjoin (by neutron capture) with an element that had an atomic number near that of iron. Since the nucleon goes from a state of low binding energy to high binding energy, would this reaction be exothermic?

This depends on the isotopes. If you take a neutron out of 4He and put it in, say, 70Fe, that will be endothermic, since 70Fe is already very neutron-rich.

In general, the answer to your question depends on (a) which side of the line of stability the light nucleus is on, and (b) which side the heavy nucleus is on.

That's a good point. I guess what I'm curious about is: Why don't we pursue some exothermic nuclear reactions (like the transferring a neutron from deuterium to iron 56) in our search for nuclear energy? Is the cross-section too small to separate neutrons from the lower energy nucleus efficiently? Or is the energy gain not enough?

Smacal1072 said:
That's a good point. I guess what I'm curious about is: Why don't we pursue some exothermic nuclear reactions (like the transferring a neutron from deuterium to iron 56) in our search for nuclear energy? Is the cross-section too small to separate neutrons from the lower energy nucleus efficiently? Or is the energy gain not enough?

What method do you have in mind to separate the neutrons from the 2H?

You could generate neutrons in a fission reactor. A certain amount of the energy in fission reactors does come out in the form of neutrons, and all of these neutrons end up doing some kind of exothermic reaction, possibly contributing a little to the thermal energy produced, although I wouldn't think it was very much.

bcrowell said:
What method do you have in mind to separate the neutrons from the 2H?

I've been reading a little on this - you can use a small neutron generator which accelerates deuterons into a deuterium target. You get a few DD fusion reactions, which produce a neutron. Also, you could use a Farnsworth fusor. They work on a similar principle.

I get the impression though that these reactions have very low cross-sections and wouldn't produce the number of neutrons necessary to generate any meaningful neutron flux. Still, it's pretty tempting. If there were a more efficient way to separate neutrons from deuterium...

1. What is neutron production?

Neutron production is the process of creating neutrons, which are subatomic particles with no electrical charge. This can occur through various means such as nuclear reactions, radioactive decay, or particle collisions.

2. How are neutrons captured?

Neutrons can be captured by atomic nuclei, a process known as neutron capture. This can result in a different element being formed, or the nucleus becoming unstable and undergoing radioactive decay.

3. What is the significance of neutron production and capture in nuclear reactors?

In nuclear reactors, the production and capture of neutrons play a crucial role in sustaining the nuclear chain reaction. Neutrons are constantly being produced and captured, releasing energy that is used to generate electricity.

4. Can neutron production and capture be controlled?

Yes, neutron production and capture can be controlled through various methods such as adjusting the amount of fuel and moderating materials in a reactor, or using control rods to absorb excess neutrons.

5. What are some applications of neutron production and capture in science and technology?

Aside from their use in nuclear reactors, neutron production and capture have various applications in science and technology. They are used in neutron imaging techniques for materials analysis, neutron activation analysis for detecting trace elements, and in medical treatments such as neutron therapy for cancer. They are also important in research and development in fields such as nuclear physics and astrophysics.