Calculating Neutron Peaks with Increased Kinetic Energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the number of peaks produced in neutron scattering when the lowest kinetic energy of a neutron is increased by a factor of 2. The formula used to calculate the lowest kinetic energy for a beta-brass CuZn is also mentioned. The relationship between the wavelength, distance, and angle in this calculation is explained, with the understanding that the number of peaks is equal to the value of n plus one. It is then clarified that increasing the kinetic energy also results in an increase in the number of peaks.
NEWO
hi,

in neutron scattering, if the lowest kinetic energy of a neutron is increased by a factor of 2, how do you work out the number of peaks produced?

I have worked out the lowest kinetic energy for a beta-brass CuZn to be 2.37meV using

[tex]E=\frac{\hbar^{2}k^{2}}{2m}[\tex] where

[tex]k=\frac{2\pi}{\lambda}[\tex] and

[tex]\lambda=2d\sin\theta[\tex]

I would appreciate any help on this.

thanks

newo

Physics news on Phys.org
hmm my latex doesn't seem to work here, don't know why, can you get the gist of it?

NEWO said:
hmm my latex doesn't seem to work here, don't know why, can you get the gist of it?
You need to swap the back-slashes to forward slashes like this (without the spaces)

[ /tex ]

As for your question, how does this;
NEWO said:
[tex]\lambda=2d\sin\theta[/tex]
Relate to n? Remember than for the maximum n [itex]\Rightarrow \sin\theta = 1[/itex], also note that the number of peaks = n+1

Last edited:
ahhh so

[tex] \lambda=nd\sin\theta[/tex]

or am I missing something

NEWO said:
ahhh so

[tex] \lambda=nd\sin\theta[/tex]

or am I missing something

Almost, I believe it is;

[tex]\lambda = \frac{d\sin\theta}{n} \Leftrightarrow n = \frac{d\sin\theta}{\lambda}[/tex]

Can you see what happens if you increase the kinetic energy of the particle?

yeah as the energy increases the number of peaks increases also

thanks for your help it is much appreciated

NEWO said:
yeah as the energy increases the number of peaks increases also

thanks for your help it is much appreciated

Sounds good to me. My pleasure :smile:

1. What is the purpose of calculating neutron peaks with increased kinetic energy?

The purpose of calculating neutron peaks with increased kinetic energy is to better understand the behavior of neutrons, which are subatomic particles that have no charge and are found in the nucleus of an atom. By increasing their kinetic energy, scientists can study how they interact with other particles and materials, providing valuable insights into various physical and chemical processes.

2. How is the kinetic energy of neutrons increased for these calculations?

The kinetic energy of neutrons can be increased through various methods, such as accelerating them in a particle accelerator or using a neutron moderator, which slows down fast-moving neutrons and increases their kinetic energy.

3. What factors affect the neutron peaks in these calculations?

The neutron peaks in these calculations can be affected by several factors, including the initial energy of the neutrons, the material they are interacting with, and the angle of detection. Other factors, such as temperature and pressure, can also play a role in the behavior of neutrons and their resulting peaks.

4. How are these calculations useful in practical applications?

Calculating neutron peaks with increased kinetic energy has many practical applications, such as in nuclear power plants, where understanding neutron behavior is crucial for safe and efficient energy production. These calculations also have uses in fields such as materials science, where the properties of materials can be studied by analyzing how they interact with neutrons.

5. What are the potential challenges in accurately calculating neutron peaks with increased kinetic energy?

One potential challenge in these calculations is the complexity of the interactions between neutrons and other particles, which can be difficult to accurately model. Additionally, factors such as experimental limitations and uncertainties in measurement can also affect the accuracy of the results. It is important for scientists to carefully consider and account for these challenges in order to ensure reliable and meaningful calculations.