Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Neutron source

1. Feb 7, 2013 #1
    Greetings to all,
    I know activity for a Am-Be neutron source. I want to compute strenght source in neutrons/s. Yours advices are welcome. Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2013 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

One could take the α decay rate of Am-241, and with knowledge of the macroscopic cross-section, including reaction efficiency, determine the n source term.

Alternatively, Amersham produces an Am-Be source of ~ 2.2 x 106 n/sec per Ci. This is the approximate value at manufacture, so one has to correct for Am-241 decay. One would have to know the Ci of Am of the original source, or the date of manufacture.

4. Feb 28, 2013 #3
    Thank you for answer, finally i found the solution. For example Po-210/Be neutrons-source has a yield of 70 neutrons/1milion alpha particles.

5. Mar 19, 2013 #4
    You need a conversion factor. Look at

Bernard Shlein, L. A. (1998). Handbook of Health Physics and Radiological Health Third Edition. Baltimore: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook