Neutron Star Core: Empty Obloid Cavity & Exotic Content?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a neutron star forming a cavity in its center due to centrifugal force and the potential contents of this cavity. The concept of a blitzar, a rapidly spinning neutron star that could potentially form a black hole, is also mentioned. However, it is noted that the centrifugal force may prevent this collapse into a black hole. The idea of a ringularity, a theoretical object with a cavity in its center, is also brought up as a potential topic of interest.
Srb2001
TL;DR Summary
Do millisecond Neutron Stars cavitate in their cores?
I have a question regarding Neutron Star cores that perhaps PF could clarify for me. Given a millisecond spinning NS, and given that its gravity decreases toward the center, being a spherical body, does centrifugal force displace the core material outwards to form an empty obloid-shaped cavity in the star's center?

Also, if a spatial cavity would in fact result, what theoretically would it "contain" or consist of? Normal spacetime vacuum or something more exotic perhaps due to severe frame dragging and relativistic effects?

TIA

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Even if gravity itself diminishes as you approach the center, the pressure due to the weight of all the material further from the center increases. In addition, the material aligned along the axis of spin would not have any of that pressure mitigated by the spin and would only be pulled in towards the center by gravity.

Likes BillTre
The neutron core could (hypothetically) be quark matter. Strange quark stars may have been observed
https://arxiv.org/abs/1508.07745 --
Therefore, we conclude that such an ultra-energetic supernova provides a possible signature for the birth of a strange quark star.
I mentioning this because you made some assumptions about neutron stars. Perhaps quark matter is worthy of some consideration in your context.

NB: I am no astrophysicist. Corrections welcome.

The link below doesn't address the cavity portion of your question, but it does address extremely rapid pulsar rotation and centrifugal force. I don't know if this theory could be reconciled with Janus' comment (his statement would seem to rule out a blitzar being possible), but here it is anyway...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blitzar

Generally, bodies that rotate at constant angular velocity do not cavitate at centre.
The reason being that although centrifugal force is mv2/r, it is mω2*r. Gravity decreases inwards, but so does centrifugal force. If centrifugal force does not exceed gravity at surface, it will not exceed gravity at centre unless the centre rotated at a faster angular velocity.

snorkack said:
If centrifugal force does not exceed gravity at surface, it will not exceed gravity at centre

In theory there actually is a case where it does: a rotating donut. But there isn't a cavity and it is not stable.

Rubidium_71 said:
The link below doesn't address the cavity portion of your question, but it does address extremely rapid pulsar rotation and centrifugal force. I don't know if this theory could be reconciled with Janus' comment (his statement would seem to rule out a blitzar being possible), but here it is anyway...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blitzar
I don't see anything in @Janus comment that is inconsistent with blitzar as a possibility. Can you explain your line of thougth?

PAllen said:
I don't see anything in @Janus comment that is inconsistent with blitzar as a possibility. Can you explain your line of thougth?
Janus said:
the material aligned along the axis of spin would not have any of that pressure mitigated by the spin and would only be pulled in towards the center by gravity.

I took Janus' remark to suggest that a potential blitzar would be vulnerable to pressure along the polar axis (axis of spin). This would seem to indicate that the centrifugal force couldn't really hold off the collapse into a black hole for any length of time, since material could fall into the poles. I could certainly be in error regarding my interpretation of his comment.

Another theoretical object that might interest the OP would be a ringularity, if one exists it would have a very interesting cavity in the middle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_singularity

Rubidium_71 said:
I took Janus' remark to suggest that a potential blitzar would be vulnerable to pressure along the polar axis (axis of spin). This would seem to indicate that the centrifugal force couldn't really hold off the collapse into a black hole for any length of time, since material could fall into the poles. I could certainly be in error regarding my interpretation of his comment.

Another theoretical object that might interest the OP would be a ringularity, if one exists it would have a very interesting cavity in the middle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_singularity
Ok, I see, but I doubt I didn't take it quite so literally. The general observation can be made consistent with holding off BH formation for somewhat overmassive spinning neutron stars by noting that BH formation is a global phenomenon. The spinning equatorial portion is effectively reducing the amount of matter subject to catastrophic collapse, so what is left no longer meets the threshold, until the spin slows down.

Good to know, I always hoped that a blitzar would someday be detected. It would be an excellent opportunity for study as it wound down into a black hole. :)

1. What is a neutron star core?

A neutron star core is the innermost part of a neutron star, which is a highly dense and compact object formed from the collapse of a massive star. It is composed mostly of neutrons and has a diameter of about 10 kilometers.

2. What is an empty obloid cavity in a neutron star core?

An empty obloid cavity is a region within the neutron star core that is devoid of matter. This cavity is believed to be formed during the supernova explosion that creates the neutron star.

3. How is the empty obloid cavity formed?

The empty obloid cavity is formed when the core of a massive star collapses, causing the protons and electrons to combine and form neutrons. This process releases a huge amount of energy, resulting in a supernova explosion. The explosion creates a shockwave that compresses the core, leaving behind an empty cavity.

4. What is the exotic content of a neutron star core?

The exotic content of a neutron star core refers to the highly dense and extreme conditions within the core. This includes the presence of strange matter, which is a hypothetical form of matter made up of quarks, and the existence of a superfluid, which is a state of matter with zero viscosity.

5. How do scientists study the neutron star core and its exotic content?

Scientists use a variety of techniques to study the neutron star core and its exotic content, including observations from telescopes and simulations using computer models. They also study the behavior of matter under extreme conditions in laboratories to better understand the properties of the core.