1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Neutron star simulation

1. Sep 28, 2006 #1
    Does anyone know of a good reference regarding solving the Tolman-Oppenheimer-Volkov equations for neutron stars? Most things I find are either too elementary and others skip multiple steps. I think the EoS to use should be that of a Fermi gas model, but I am not sure.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2006 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Have you tried Black Holes, White Dwarfs, and Neutron Stars, by Shapiro and Teukolsky?

4. Sep 29, 2006 #3
    Hey, not yet. I am trying to avoid buying a book at the moment because getting them to South Africa is a bit expensive.

5. Sep 30, 2006 #4
    I decided to 1st try and model a white dwarf. My problem is that I can't find a good starting pressure to use. Also, can I assume uniform density for a white dwarf? Does the EoS (polytrope) give me central pressure when a value of rho is inserted into it?

Thanks,
    Karl

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?