Neutron Temp: Does It Apply to Subatomic Particles?

In summary, the topic of temperature in relation to subatomic particles, specifically neutrons, was discussed. It was mentioned that temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of any particles, including neutrons. The equations for calculating the temperature of free neutrons were also mentioned. The idea of temperature in relation to absorbing photons and the concept of absolute zero were brought up, with the conclusion that there is no equivalent for neutrons. The conversation ended with the understanding that learning is a gradual process and previous teachings may be invalidated as understanding increases.
coolul007
Gold Member
Does temperature apply to subatomic particles, in particular the neutron? The question is prompted by the definition of absolute zero, being specific to atomic movement.

Science news on Phys.org
coolul007 said:
Does temperature apply to subatomic particles, in particular the neutron?
I am not sure if a get question properly but, in general, particles temperature can be defined with its kinetic energy
slow neutrons are colder, hot neutrons are faster..

as analogue of classical temperature, where $$ T \sim <E_k> $$

coolul007 said:
Does temperature apply to subatomic particles, in particular the neutron? The question is prompted by the definition of absolute zero, being specific to atomic movement.

I don't think you understand the definition of temperature. It is a measure of the average kinetic energy of an ensemble of ANY particles, neutrons included.

If you do a search, you can even find, especially in a solid state text or webpage, the temperature of the "electron gas" in a conductor at room temperature.

Zz.

Yes neutrons have a temperature. For non-relativistic free neutrons (eg: moderated neutrons radiating from a nuclear reactor) the equations are trivial ##E = \frac{3}{2}k_{B}T## where ##E## is the kinetic energy ##E = \frac{1}{2}mv^{2}##. Indeed, at neutron scattering facilities dedicated to using neutrons as a probe of condensed matter, the different instruments are typically classified as cold, thermal, or hot. Which is a direct reference to the neutron temperatures used in the scattering experiments.

Likes sophiecentaur and BvU
I was thinking of temperature in the classic sense of atom versus subatomic particle. I have been lied to about atoms my whole life, so if I am way off base here I apologize. My understanding is the atoms increase "temperature" by absorbing photons. Therefore a rock that does not have kinetic energy can have "stored heat". Therefore, my thoughts went to particles that don't seem to absorb a photon and are at "rest" in the nucleus of an atom. That is what spurred my question.

coolul007 said:
I have been lied to
That's a bit harsh. I probably got the same stories but don't share the feeling; learning is a gradual process that has to start somewhere. And what you can absorb in one step is limited (as well as what you can absorb in a whole lifetime :cry: :confused: ).

coolul007 said:
My understanding is the atoms increase "temperature" by absorbing photons.
I wouldn't say that is a meaningful statement. It's trying to extend a macroscopic, statistical idea into the behaviour of a single entity. Absorbing Energy doesn't imply a pro-rata increase in temperature, even in a real gas because input energy can result in an increase in Potential Energy as well as KE. Van der Vaal forces beween gas molecules stop them behaving ideally.
I would say that you haven't been "lied to" as much as taken an inappropriate message from a not-to-good presentation of the situation.

BvU said:
That's a bit harsh. I probably got the same stories but don't share the feeling; learning is a gradual process that has to start somewhere. And what you can absorb in one step is limited (as well as what you can absorb in a whole lifetime :cry: :confused: ).
I didn't mean to be harsh, the implication is that, as understanding increases the previous teachings are invalidated. I'm 72 1/2 years old, so you can imagine the world, as well as the subatomic world has changed for me. I ask this question in relation to absolute zero, being the lack of "static" energy in an atom. I was just pondering if there is a subatomic equivalence. No condemnation of physicists on my part. Thank you for your replies.

Likes BvU
coolul007 said:
I didn't mean to be harsh, the implication is that, as understanding increases the previous teachings are invalidated. I'm 72 1/2 years old, so you can imagine the world, as well as the subatomic world has changed for me. I ask this question in relation to absolute zero, being the lack of "static" energy in an atom. I was just pondering if there is a subatomic equivalence. No condemnation of physicists on my part. Thank you for your replies.
I think you're asking if neutrons have "internal" temperature as well as "external" temperature that SpinFlop described. Atoms can receive energy which pushes electrons into "higher orbits". I don't believe there is an equivalent in neutrons.

1. What is Neutron Temperature and how does it apply to subatomic particles?

Neutron temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of neutrons in a substance. It applies to subatomic particles because neutrons are one of the building blocks of atoms and their temperature affects the overall temperature of the substance.

2. How is Neutron Temperature different from regular temperature?

Neutron temperature specifically measures the kinetic energy of neutrons, while regular temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of all particles in a substance.

3. Can Neutron Temperature be measured?

Yes, neutron temperature can be measured using specialized instruments such as neutron detectors and spectrometers.

4. Why is Neutron Temperature important in nuclear reactions?

Neutron temperature is important in nuclear reactions because it affects the rate of fission and fusion reactions. It also determines the energy and type of particles released in these reactions.

5. How does Neutron Temperature affect the stability of atoms?

Neutron temperature can affect the stability of atoms by causing changes in the number of neutrons in the nucleus. Too many or too few neutrons can make an atom unstable and prone to radioactive decay.