Neutron Wavelength Calculation

In summary, the student is having trouble with the homework statement where the variable ##m## is usually typeset in an italic font, but the unit m is not. The student is confused about which is which.
jjson775
Homework Statement
Show that the wavelength of a neutron is (2.86x10-11/√K)m where K is the kinetic energy in electron volts.
Relevant Equations
λ=h/mv
λ^2=h^2/m^2v^2
=h^2/2/(m^2v^2/2)
=h^2/2/(Km)
=h^2/2Km

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a question here ?

As an urgent hint: use brackets where necessary !

Likes berkeman
BvU said:
Is there a question here ?

As an urgent hint: use brackets where necessary !
There are 2 brackets missing in the homework statement. They look OK to me in the attempted solution. I can't get to the answer (λ in terms of K and m) from my last line. m should be in the numerator.

jjson775 said:
m should be in the numerator.
You mean denominator.

kuruman said:
You mean denominator.

No, numerator is correct. Actually, when I looked again at the homework statement, the brackets are OK.

jjson775 said:
No, numerator is correct. Actually, when I looked again at the homework statement, the brackets are OK.
The mass in the numerator is not correct.
##K=\dfrac{p^2}{2m}~\Rightarrow~p=\sqrt{2mK}##.

##\lambda=\dfrac{h}{p}=\dfrac{h}{\sqrt{2mK}}.##

m is shown in the numerator in the textbook. See attached file.

Attachments

• DFCC8CA5-C66A-435C-A62D-78FD808F98E0.png
    DFCC8CA5-C66A-435C-A62D-78FD808F98E0.png
    17.7 KB · Views: 102
See Problem 3

Attachments

• 7B238C36-30C8-4F9F-81B1-9BA3605D85B3.jpeg
    7B238C36-30C8-4F9F-81B1-9BA3605D85B3.jpeg
    80.9 KB · Views: 95
That "m" stands for "meters" not "mass". In other words, if you enter a number for the kinetic energy in electron volts, take the square root and divide the result into 2.86 x 10-11, the result will be in meters. I dislike mixed unit formulas of this kind exactly because of the confusion they sow as we have seen in this case.

Do you know how to proceed now?

Likes BvU
jjson775 said:
See Problem 3
The variable ##m## is usually typeset in an italic font whereas the unit m is not.

Likes jjson775
vela said:
The variable ##m## is usually typeset in an italic font whereas the unit m is not.
Unfortunately the textbook page where the formula appears was posted a few replies after the confusion had already set in.

I am actually past this point in the book and knew I was hung up on something silly with this problem, which was the case. I mixed up the m for mass with meters. A mental block. I am a retired engineer, 78 years old, seeing modern physics for the first time. Past special relativity and now in QM. Thanks.

Likes BvU and kuruman
jjson775 said:
I am actually past this point in the book and knew I was hung up on something silly with this problem, which was the case. I mixed up the m for mass with meters. A mental block. I am a retired engineer, 78 years old, seeing modern physics for the first time. Past special relativity and now in QM. Thanks.
Good luck with your endeavor. We are here to help.

1. What is a neutron wavelength?

A neutron wavelength is the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs in a neutron's wave pattern. It is a measure of the size of the wave associated with a neutron's motion.

2. Why is neutron wavelength important in scientific research?

Neutron wavelength is important in scientific research because it can provide valuable information about the properties and behavior of materials. Neutrons are often used as probes to study the structure, composition, and dynamics of various materials, and their wavelength plays a crucial role in these experiments.

3. How is neutron wavelength calculated?

Neutron wavelength is calculated using the de Broglie equation, which relates the wavelength of a particle to its momentum and mass. In the case of neutrons, the equation is λ = h / mv, where λ is the wavelength, h is Planck's constant, m is the mass of the neutron, and v is its velocity.

4. What factors can affect the neutron wavelength?

The neutron wavelength can be affected by the energy of the neutron, the material it is passing through, and any interactions it may have with other particles. The wavelength can also be affected by the instrument used to measure it, as well as external factors such as temperature and pressure.

5. What are some applications of neutron wavelength calculations?

Neutron wavelength calculations have a wide range of applications in various fields of science, including materials science, physics, chemistry, and biology. They are used to study the structure of materials, investigate the behavior of particles in different environments, and develop new technologies such as neutron scattering techniques for medical imaging.