Can Neutrons Emit Photons? Exploring the Possibility

In summary, neutrons are particles made of quarks. They are relatively easy to emit photons from because they are made of quarks and have a spin.
cragar
This might be a dumb question but can neutrons emit photons.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi there,

Don't know if this is what you are looking for but: neutrons (free) are unstable particles. They will decay after a certain time into a proton emitting a beta particle. To my knowledge, there are no electromagnetic photons emitted from this disintegration though.

Cheers

what about when a neutron and an anti-neutron collide and then photons are emitted.
And let's say I had a ball oh neutrons and I heated them with a torch or had them in the presence of an alternating magnetic field , what about a neutron star.

Last edited:
Hi there,

Oh boy. The collision of matter and anti-matter is not consider photon emission by the particle itself. The particle anhilate and emit energy through this process.

If you want, the disintegration by a beta particle is always accompanied by the emission of a neutrino type particle. This neutrino will carry some of the energy of the disintegration. But then again, the neutrino is not a electromagnetic photon (unless considering the duality principle).

Cheers

well if the neutron has a magnetic field , then is it possible to excite this field to emit a photon ?

thanks

cragar said:
well if the neutron has a magnetic field , then is it possible to excite this field to emit a photon ?

Neutron has no charge, so no mag field.

Then how do you explain the neutron magnetic moment . A neutron posses spin and anything with spin has a magnetic moment .

cragar said:
Then how do you explain the neutron magnetic moment . A neutron posses spin and anything with spin has a magnetic moment .

I did not know that. I thought motion of electric charge produced mag field. Thanks.

Its ok , I think that neutrons can emit photons because they are made of quarks and like protons that emit light fairly easily . I am not 100% sure.

To a first (classical) approximation, no; EM waves are produced by oscillating charges and since neutrons possesses no net charge, they do not emit EM waves.

Claude.

It just seems that if i heat up a nuetron really hot it would emit something ,
so a neutron can have an EM field but not emit photons.

I was hesitating to jump in because it's a bit a tricky issue. As the neutron has a magnetic moment, it thus can interact through the electromagnetic field, and as such, one should say that it can "emit (virtual) photons" ; that is, you can link a neutron in a Feynman diagram with a photon, although this is somewhat messy as it isn't directly charged.

However, if you mean real photons, such as emissions of gamma radiation, then no. Of course, you can think of the quarks inside the neutron as a bound state, and think of exciting those. But then it is not a neutron anymore ! The neutron is a bound state of down-down-up. There exist other such states, for instance the Delta-0 particle. You could consider it as an "excited" neutron state if you which. See for instance the Wiki article on it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isospin

You see the neutron in the left-upper corner of the baryon octet spin-1/2 and the Delta-0 baryon second from the left in the upper row of the baryon decuplet spin-3/2.

Interesting , thanks for the responses i learned a lot in this thread .

1. Can neutrons emit photons?

Yes, neutrons can emit photons through a process called beta decay. This is when a neutron decays into a proton, emitting an electron and an antineutrino. The energy released in this process can also be in the form of photons.

2. How is the possibility of neutrons emitting photons explored?

The possibility of neutrons emitting photons is explored through experimental studies and theoretical calculations. Scientists use particle accelerators and detectors to observe and measure the energy and direction of emitted photons from neutrons. Theoretical models are also used to predict the likelihood and characteristics of this phenomenon.

3. Why is it important to study the possibility of neutrons emitting photons?

Studying the possibility of neutrons emitting photons can provide valuable insights into the fundamental properties of neutrons and the nature of the weak nuclear force. This can also have implications in fields such as nuclear physics, astrophysics, and cosmology.

4. Are there any practical applications of neutrons emitting photons?

The phenomenon of neutrons emitting photons has practical applications in fields such as nuclear power and medicine. Neutron radiation therapy, which uses high-energy neutrons, can destroy cancer cells by emitting photons that damage their DNA. Neutron imaging techniques also use the emission of photons from neutrons to produce images of the internal structure of objects.

5. Can neutrons emit photons in all conditions?

No, neutrons can only emit photons under specific conditions, such as during beta decay or in high-energy collisions. Neutrons in stable nuclei do not typically emit photons. Additionally, the emission of photons from neutrons is heavily dependent on the energy and momentum of the particles involved.