1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Neutron ?

1. Apr 6, 2010 #1
    Does a moving neutron have an electric field ?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2010 #2
    I don't believe a field is created by the moving neutron due to a lack of any intrinsic properties to that end, but it would stand to reason that the influence of its motion would have some effect upon charge carrying particles and therefore possibly act in creating a weak electric field.

(Can someone with a degree in this stuff confirm?)

4. Apr 6, 2010 #3
    I know a neutron has a magnetic field so i was wondering about the electric field .

5. Apr 7, 2010 #4

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A moving neutron will - I would presume - create a changing magnetic field and hence create a (very very very tiny) electrical field. But that's just a transformation property of the EM field.

But people are investigating whether the neutron doesn't have any intrinsic electric field, with experiments like these: http://p25ext.lanl.gov/edm/edm.html

Up to now, the only thing those experiments do is put upper limits on the electric dipole moment.

6. Apr 7, 2010 #5
    so then if a moving neutron has a small E field and B field then we could get photon emission from it , is this correct .

7. Apr 7, 2010 #6

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In order to get radiation emission from a moving charge, the charge needs to accelerate. Then you get synchrotron radiation. I would guess, but I might be wrong so be careful, that the same is valid for a magnetic dipole such as the neutron. However, the effect must be monstrously small.

8. Apr 7, 2010 #7
    My physics professor thought that a neutron could radiate photons , so who knows maybe it is possible .

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook