Does a Moving Neutron Have an Electric Field?

In summary, a moving neutron does not have an electric field due to its lack of intrinsic properties. However, its motion can influence charge carrying particles and create a weak electric field. Some experiments are exploring the possibility of the neutron having an intrinsic electric field, but so far only upper limits have been found. It is possible for a moving neutron to emit photons, but the effect would be extremely small. Further research is needed to fully understand the potential radiation emission from a moving neutron.
cragar
Does a moving neutron have an electric field ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't believe a field is created by the moving neutron due to a lack of any intrinsic properties to that end, but it would stand to reason that the influence of its motion would have some effect upon charge carrying particles and therefore possibly act in creating a weak electric field.

(Can someone with a degree in this stuff confirm?)

I know a neutron has a magnetic field so i was wondering about the electric field .

A moving neutron will - I would presume - create a changing magnetic field and hence create a (very very very tiny) electrical field. But that's just a transformation property of the EM field.

But people are investigating whether the neutron doesn't have any intrinsic electric field, with experiments like these: http://p25ext.lanl.gov/edm/edm.html

Up to now, the only thing those experiments do is put upper limits on the electric dipole moment.

so then if a moving neutron has a small E field and B field then we could get photon emission from it , is this correct .

cragar said:
so then if a moving neutron has a small E field and B field then we could get photon emission from it , is this correct .

In order to get radiation emission from a moving charge, the charge needs to accelerate. Then you get synchrotron radiation. I would guess, but I might be wrong so be careful, that the same is valid for a magnetic dipole such as the neutron. However, the effect must be monstrously small.

My physics professor thought that a neutron could radiate photons , so who knows maybe it is possible .

1. What is a neutron?

A neutron is a subatomic particle found in the nucleus of an atom. It has a neutral charge and is slightly larger than a proton.

2. Does a neutron always have an electric field?

Yes, a neutron always has an electric field. However, it is a neutral particle, so its electric field is balanced by the positive charge of the proton in the nucleus.

3. How is the electric field of a moving neutron different from a stationary neutron?

The electric field of a moving neutron is not significantly different from a stationary neutron. However, the motion of a neutron can affect the overall magnetic properties of an atom.

4. Can a moving neutron create an electric current?

Yes, a moving neutron can create an electric current. This is known as beta decay, where a neutron decays into a proton, electron, and antineutrino, causing a flow of electric current.

5. How does the electric field of a moving neutron affect its interactions with other particles?

The electric field of a moving neutron can affect its interactions with other particles, as it can create a magnetic field. This can lead to the attraction or repulsion of other charged particles, depending on their polarity.