Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Neutrons and binding energy

1. Apr 9, 2007 #1
    When neutrons come together energy is emitted.If there are a lot of neutrons close together in a ball,will the energy emitted by the neutrons at the centre of the ball push the neutrons nearer the surface out of the ball?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2007 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What sort of situation are you refering to? Neutron stars? On an ordinary atomic scale level, there is no such process as neutrons coming together.

4. Apr 13, 2007 #3
    this sounds like degeneracy pressure. The neutrons have spin 1/2, so they must obey the Pauli exclusion principle... unless they are unrealistically cold, much less than 10^-30K or something ridiculous like that, then they form bosonic pairs and behave like bosons, much like what electrons do at low energies in a superconductor (my thermal physics prof. told me the gist of a paper that another prof. wrote at the U of M). For all practical purposes, neutrons will always obey the Pauli exclusion principle, and hence we can speak of things such as "degeneracy pressure", but as far as I know, there simply is no "energy emission". Perhaps you mean energy transfer in the form of sound waves, light, collisions and the sort? As long as the system has a temperature gradient, there will always be energy transfer which will serve to bring the system in equilibrium.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?