Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Neutrons and hydrogen atoms

1. Aug 7, 2004 #1
    A long time ago, when I did my degree I was taught that Neutrons have a half life of (about 10 minutes?). I also remember that the elementry particle equation was:

N <-> P+e.

Now, a proton plus an electron could look a lot like a hydrogen atom and I also remember that the electron in a hydrogen atom at it's lowest allowed energy does a figure 8 through the nucleus with a node in it's centre. The proton has a small radius, I know, but it seems like the electron would occasionally be in the proton? I am also thinking of the energy being negotiable because of the HUP.

Now I am probably sounding confused.

The question I would like to ask is:

Is there a probability (perhaps a very small one) that a hydrogen atom can decay into a neutron? Why/Why not?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

It works the other way around. A neutron can decay into a proton and an electron, plus an antineutrino, via the weak interaction. But that's not because the neutron has the proton and electron inside it; it's because the weak force can turn one kind of quark into another, and conservation of charge has to be satisfied in the cheapest way possible.
  4. Aug 7, 2004 #3
    Yeah, I think they taught me that, it was just too long ago.

What stops the process happening in reverse?
  5. Aug 7, 2004 #4
    Happy birthday by the way. I just noticed!
  6. Aug 10, 2004 #5
    err, so is it an entropy thing then?
  7. Aug 10, 2004 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Thank you.

The reason it doesn't run in reverse is that there isn't enough energy. The weak decay is energetically downhill,and inverse weak decay is uphill.
  8. Aug 17, 2004 #7
    Any idea how much energy?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?