Neutrons and neutron interactions

In summary, the interaction between neutrons and nuclei can result in various outcomes depending on the energies involved, but it is unlikely for more than one neutron to hit a nucleus at the same time. The r-process, which begins with nuclei around iron, does not involve helium.
Bashayer Abdullah
TL;DR Summary
Does one neutron or more than one make different when they interact with the nuclei?
Does one neutron or more than one make different when they interact with the nuclei? what is the result that could happen if one neutron or neutrons hit the nuclei? I'm not sure but I think the neutrons are the most confusing particles to deal with.

I wish you guys can help me

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know, what you are after, but neutrons are not so puzzling after all. From the point of view of the strong interaction it's (almost) just like a proton.

Likes Bashayer Abdullah
You mean more than one neutron hitting a nucleus at the same time (within the nuclear interaction time)? That is incredibly unlikely. A nucleus can absorb two neutrons at the same, or absorb one and scatter one, scatter both, and various other options depending on the energies.

Likes Bashayer Abdullah
mfb said:
You mean more than one neutron hitting a nucleus at the same time (within the nuclear interaction time)? That is incredibly unlikely. A nucleus can absorb two neutrons at the same, or absorb one and scatter one, scatter both, and various other options depending on the energies.
Thank you for your reply,
And yes that was exactly what I mean in my question
Do you mean the energy of the nuclei? And what about if the nuclei was light or heavy?

What can happen depends on the type and state of the initial nucleus and the overall energy involved (which mainly depends on the energy of the neutrons). There is no general pattern that would depend on the mass of the nucleus.

Likes Bashayer Abdullah
mfb said:
You mean more than one neutron hitting a nucleus at the same time (within the nuclear interaction time)? That is incredibly unlikely.
Difficult, but must happens at relevant amount. Otherwise, why doesn´ t r-process terminate at He-3?
Think of it. One neutron beta decays to proton and picks up two neutrons - to triton.
And H-4 is unbound. t beta decay halflife is 12 years, far above the 10 minute half-life of neutron or of the explosive disassembly time of kilonova.
Even if a few t decay to He-3, first of all the best reaction path for neutron capture of He-3 is (n, p) back to t, not (n, γ) to α. And even if a few α do form, He-5 is unbound again.

On the other hand, if you somehow could add two neutrons at a nucleus within a nuclear interaction time... note that while He-5 is unbound, He-6 is bound (and beta active).

So how does r-process get across the long-lived neutron dripline nuclei t and α?

The r-process doesn't involve helium at all. It starts with nuclei around iron.

1. What is a neutron?

A neutron is a subatomic particle that has no electrical charge and is found in the nucleus of an atom alongside protons. It is approximately the same size as a proton, but has a slightly larger mass.

2. How do neutrons interact with other particles?

Neutrons can interact with other particles through the strong nuclear force, which is responsible for holding the nucleus of an atom together. They can also interact through the weak nuclear force, which is involved in nuclear decay processes.

3. What is neutron scattering?

Neutron scattering is a process in which neutrons are directed at a material and their interactions with the atoms in the material are studied. This can provide information about the structure and properties of the material.

4. Can neutrons be used in medical treatments?

Yes, neutrons can be used in medical treatments such as neutron capture therapy, which involves using a neutron beam to target and destroy cancer cells in the body.

5. How are neutrons produced?

Neutrons can be produced through nuclear reactions, such as fission or fusion, in which the nucleus of an atom splits or combines with another nucleus. They can also be produced in particle accelerators or nuclear reactors.