Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Never do this!

1. Mar 28, 2005 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Absolutely a true story: It happened at a customer's site last night and I was there today. I will post a picture when I get a copy tomorrow.

This customer receives bulk materials from tractor-trailers by lifting the entire trailer, dump truck fashion, to an angle of sixty degrees. The materials then fall out the back. IIRC, a trailer of this type is 36 feet long. So,the SOP is that when a truck pulls in, the driver parks in the appropriate spot and disconnects his truck from the trailer. He or she also operates the lift from a little shack about ten feet away. Well, this poor guy forgot one little thing. Guess what that was? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: He forgot to disconnect the trailer from the truck. He never realized what was happening until the truck came crashing down, nose first, when he bounced the controls a few times to clean out the last bit of material.

What to do when you drop your truck twenty feet? Get in your car and go home with not a word said. :uhh:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2005 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Was it his truck, or was he a driver?

4. Mar 28, 2005 #3
    Sounds like WAS is the operative word.

5. Mar 28, 2005 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:cringe: :eek: :surprised He was probably wishing he had been under that truck after it happened. He's either just lost a bundle demolishing his own truck, or has to explain to his employer how he demolished the company's truck. Either way, I wouldn't want to be in his shoes.

6. Mar 28, 2005 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

He was a driver; not the owner. In fact the owner [actually a sister company or something] was crying since they just put a bunch of money into a new engine for that truck.

Also, as a point of reference, the thing hit so hard that it cracked the engine block.

7. Mar 28, 2005 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Seiously, Moonbear, he didn't even wait to get fired. He just left.

8. Mar 28, 2005 #7

Danger

Gold Member

If he couldn't drive, why would he have a truck? :rolleyes:

(Nice to have your beautiful self back in place of that poor pathetic little Sylvester.)

9. Mar 28, 2005 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

He's probably still at the nearest bar.

10. Mar 28, 2005 #9
    I would be.

Yeah, I would be anyway, but that's really not the point.

11. Mar 29, 2005 #10

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Meh, it's only a truck. What a small-timer!

How about the poor guy who forgot to check the bolts and dropped a $233 million dollar satellite on the factory floor (pictures are at bottom of article).

Such a horrible comedy of small mistakes all strung together. Lockheed-Martin makes weather satellites for NOAA and DMSP. The satellites are basically the same, but have different sensors on board. Both satellites used identical "turnover carts" to rotate the satellite from vertical to horizontal so workers can reach the equipment they're supposed to work on, plus they store their equipment in the same room.

The DMSP turnover cart needed repairs, so the DMSP folks started to borrow the NOAA cart, unbolting the NOAA adaptor from the cart. Then someone noticed the NOAA cart also needed repairs - a jack was broken. They decided it would be easier to fix their own cart and left the NOAA cart as is.

The NOAA folks come get their cart. The have to modify their procedure to set their satellite on their cart because of the broken jack, but it turns out to be about the easiest mating ever (usually, there's 24 bolts that keep getting in the way). They bolt the satellite to the adaptor plate without noticing the adaptor plate isn't bolted to the cart.

Turn over the cart and presto! A new Southwest Airlines Commercial is born! "Need to get away?"

12. Mar 29, 2005 #11

egg

man those pictures are TOO funny!
    I like the one with the 2 blokes in hairnets, as if a hairs gonna do any more damage!!

13. Mar 29, 2005 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hmm...you'd think something intended to be loaded up and rocket-propelled into space would be a little sturdier. :tongue:

14. Mar 29, 2005 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

15. Mar 29, 2005 #14

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

And they plan to do what with the shovels? :rofl:

16. Mar 29, 2005 #15

Danger

Gold Member

Yeah, it's funny... but at the same time almost makes me wanna cry... :frown:

17. Mar 29, 2005 #16

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I thought this shot was pretty good...esp the part about wearing hardhats. :biggrin:

[​IMG]

18. Mar 29, 2005 #17

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Yep, a hard hat wouldn't help much under that thing.

I guess that driver won't be using this job as a reference.

19. Mar 29, 2005 #18

SOS2008

Gold Member

Ivan, why do these "strange things" happen around you, hmm? :confused:

20. Mar 29, 2005 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

jealous? :biggrin:

21. Mar 29, 2005 #20

SOS2008

Gold Member

I'm not sure...aside from wearing hard hats...and obviously the need for protective footwear, maybe flame-retardant clothing, what else should we know? :rolleyes:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?