Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Never took chemistry before

1. Apr 26, 2006 #1
    so what advice do you guys have for me? besides studying,links? sources?

thanks i would really apreciate it :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2006 #2

mrjeffy321

Science Advisor

What type of Chemistry are we talking about here? High school chem. class, College General Chemistry, ...?

Not that this is the best solution for everyone, but for me, getting practical experience working with chemicals, doing reactions on my own [in my kitchen], and "speaking the language" really helps.
    If you see a chemical reaction in a book, some people might just see the letters and symbols, but if you have actually witnessed the reaction, it means to much more.

Which means more to someone, this
    3Fe3O4 + 8Al --> 9Fe + 4Al2O3
    Or this?

Synthesizing a compound gives you a new appreciation for the chemical and how it reacts.

So practice would be my advice, both in the practical aspect, and the computational aspect.

4. Apr 26, 2006 #3
    True dat. Do some REAL experiments. Real fun, real cool.

5. Apr 26, 2006 #4
    oh ok, yeah its general chemistry at a community college

6. May 17, 2006 #5
    our college offers chemistry 100 which is MODECULE/LIFE IN MODERN WORLD

and i qualify for chem 121 which is general chemistry

am i better off at taking chem 100 since i have never took chem before?

or should i just take chem 121 which i'm qualified for?

7. May 17, 2006 #6
    there is a reason you are qualified for it :rolleyes: so do that one

8. May 17, 2006 #7

mrjeffy321

Science Advisor

It is very hard to judge based purely on the course names. Do you happen to have a course descrption for each?

The chemistry 100 class might be a Chem. class which is aimed more at non science students, just giving them the basics, whereas Gen. Chem. will give you a much better background which you'll need for more advanced chemistry classes.

Based upon my own experiences taking General Chemistry I and II at my university, they cover all the important background topics you would expect to also be covered in a good high school course (at least we did in my High school chemistry class), but they cover the important parts more indepth. In my Gen. Chem. I class, they assumed you did have some previous background in chemistry, but even still, they taught the class as if you did not.

9. May 17, 2006 #8
    Yes - seeing the course descriptions would allow those offering opinions to give better ones.

I'm attending a CC, and am finishing up the 1st semester of General Chemistry (for Engineering and Science majors). You needed to have a good understanding of the mole concept, molar masses, chemical formulas, balancing equations, sig figs, ETC or you would have a very difficult time in this course. I took an Intro to Chemistry class prior to this one and would have been dead meat without it, even though I had a good exposure to chemistry in HS.

If it's a general chem for non-science/engineering majors, you'll probably be fine.

-Dave

10. May 18, 2006 #9
    When I first studied chemistry it was at uni as well and I did not understand much although I did the problems okay. But even after the exam I still felt I lacked chemical sense so I stopped taking it. I took physics for the first time as well at uni and after a year of that, I now goto some of the chemistry lectures for fun and feel that I understand the lecturer a lot more. So learning some physics definitey helps and will also make you appreciate both chemistry and physics more. You will realise that the basis of chemistry is all physics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?