1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[Nevermind] Am I missing something, or did the person who wrote this make a mistake?

1. Jan 22, 2010 #1
    I recently encountered the following question in my homework:

"A quarterback throws a football with the same initial speed at an angle of 60 degrees from the horizontal and then at an angle of 30 degrees from the horizontal. Show that the range of the football is the same in each case. Generalize this result for any release angle 0 < theta < 2pi."

Now am I missing something here? I don't believe those would have the same range (which is the whole point of why we care about the angle in projectile motion).

Perhaps I'm interpreting the question wrong. Could someone please confirm to me that this question makes no sense, or at least explain where my thinking has gone wrong?

Thanks!

EDIT:

Nevermind; I forgot about how range decreases after you surpass 45 degrees. I feel stupid now.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted