Neverwet: Amazed by Its Effectiveness

• Thread starter Borek
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed a water-repelling spray called NeverWet, its effectiveness and comparisons to other similar products. The conversation also touched on the use of a natural substance, the lotus effect, for waterproofing. Some concerns were raised about the longevity and potential damage of NeverWet, and a link to a critical article was shared.
Borek
Mentor

I am not sure if I have not posted a video of something similar (or was it the same product?) in the past, but it still amazes me how effective these things are. Sure, there is a huge gap between lab conditions and the real world, still - fascinating.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Borek said:

I am not sure if I have not posted a video of something similar (or was it the same product?) in the past, but it still amazes me how effective these things are. Sure, there is a huge gap between lab conditions and the real world, still - fascinating.
Looks like a very slick substance, you can see the shiny plastic look of the CEO's t-shirt, I wonder how the coating holds up to be washed? Is it flammable? Also, I wouldn't spray anything into a phone still under warranty, it most likely will invalidate it. But it still looks like a good waterproofing product. Wish I'd had it when I got my expensive new tile floors with the "mabe pearl" grout in my old house, the hours I spent weekly on the floor with a small brush and soft scrub bleach, then brush back on the worthless non waterproof waterproofing.

I thought this thread was going to be about something else o_O

I wonder how you get it off, maybe it's permanent? Or it might dissolve in something non-polar?

According to the on-line criticisms I saw, it works well when first applied but it doesn't last at all. UV kills it quickly and it flakes off of clothes.

I saw a similar product advertised about a year ago and it had stupendous reviews, BUT ... it cost well over 10 times as much as NeverWet.

Other product we talked about in the past was Ultra-Ever Dry:

I'll need that for my lab notes.

Evo said:
Thanks for posting the article. Disappointing, but not surprising. I have yet to buy a waterproofing agent works as promised. But that video apparently was very deceiving.
Yes, I agree with the deceiving part.
I was looking for a place to buy it when I found that article. :smile:
It looks like they sell it in Home Depot in US and Canada.

1. What is Neverwet and how does it work?

Neverwet is a superhydrophobic coating that repels water and other liquids. It works by creating a microscopic barrier on the surface of the treated object, causing liquids to bead up and roll off without being absorbed. This is due to the coating's high surface tension and low surface energy.

2. What types of surfaces can Neverwet be applied to?

Neverwet can be applied to a variety of surfaces, including metal, wood, fabric, concrete, and even electronic devices. It is important to note that the surface must be clean and dry before application for maximum effectiveness.

3. Is Neverwet safe to use?

Neverwet is generally considered safe to use, but caution should be taken when applying it in enclosed spaces. The coating contains chemicals that may cause irritation to the eyes, skin, and respiratory system. It is recommended to wear protective gear, such as gloves and a mask, during application.

4. How long does Neverwet's effectiveness last?

The effectiveness of Neverwet can vary depending on the type of surface it is applied to and the amount of wear and tear it receives. Generally, the coating can last up to 6 months to a year on outdoor surfaces and 2-5 years on indoor surfaces.

5. Can Neverwet be removed or reapplied?

Neverwet can be removed with the use of solvents, but this may damage the surface it was applied to. It is not recommended to remove the coating unless necessary. If reapplication is needed, the surface should be cleaned and dried before applying a new coat of Neverwet.