Hello all, I'm about at my wits end with this project, so maybe someone with a little more knowledge can help me out? I recently bought a 30" Patterson air cannon fan that came with a Dayton 1hp 3ph ac motor. The whole unit needed to be reconditioned, and the motor needed to be replaced. After reconditioning the housing, I purchased a Leeson 1hp 1ph ac cap start motor to replace the 3ph motor, since we do not have 3ph power. Assembled everything, and wired the motor for 115V per the diagram stamped on the motor. The motor ran great for about 2 hours, then we noticed a burning smell, and found the motor to be extremely hot and smoking a little bit. Let it sit for several hours to cool down. Came back to find the motor locked. Had the motor replaced with an identical unit. After wiring in the new motor, it ran for 20 minutes before it started to get pretty warm. Shut it down before any serious damage occurred. When I contacted the company we purchased the motor from initially, they were stumped, and said this motor should be well suited for this application. The motor is on it's own dedicated circuit. It is on a 30A 1 pole breaker, 10-2 solid copper wire, ending in a 30A receptacle. The fan has a 30A rated switch, and 12 ft 20A rated cord. I felt the cord was ok, seeing as how the full load amps of the motor is 13.6A. I know the power coming in is fine, but I'm at a loss as to why after 2 motors, this problem persists? The rated rpm of the motor is 1725. The old motor was 1175. Could it be the motor is spinning too fast since there is very little load? Any help would be greatly appreciated.