Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New advertisement format

1. Dec 3, 2013 #1

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The new advertisement format is somewhat intrusive.

A lot of software gives you a choice of either ads or payment - could something like that be set up on PF?

Or is my browser on the blink again? I don't see any flags for new and zero-response posts any more i n thehomework forums either.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2013 #2
    Can you screenshot what you are seeing? I haven't changed anything in months. Furthermore, being a gold member you shouldn't see any ads.

4. Dec 3, 2013 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Never mind, Greg, it seems OK now. My IE8 has got to go I guess .. can't get IE9, still using XP ...

thanks for the quick response.

rudy

5. Dec 3, 2013 #4
    Chrome and FF would be good choices :)

6. Dec 3, 2013 #5

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yeah, am thinking FF since uSoft is dumping XP ... but thanks to your observation I concluded that what I saw was when I was not signed in.

thanx again,

rudy

7. Dec 3, 2013 #6

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you decide to upgrade your operating system, get the Professional version of Windows 7, as it supports 16 bit software in Windows XP mode via a Virtual PC. This is the only Windows 7 version that will run the old XP stuff. It's like having two PCs in one. :approve:

8. Dec 3, 2013 #7

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm still a big fan of Win7 pro. It works. Of course, I'm prejudiced since that is what I use.

9. Dec 4, 2013 #8

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Would you think it advisable to upgrade my ancient XP machine (35 gig hard drive, 2 gig RAM) to windows 7 pro?

(I have a funny feeling you're cracking up about now, but ...).

10. Dec 4, 2013 #9

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually, kicking myself in butt. :redface:

11. Dec 4, 2013 #10

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You've been a member here long enough to be trusted knowing what's good. :thumbs:

12. Dec 4, 2013 #11

Borek

Staff: Mentor

No.

Seriously, anything below 4 GB will make you cry.

Actually if I were you I would look for additional used 2 GB on eBay or some place like that. If the machine is so old it will be just a few bucks, and you will most likely find it much, much faster, after upgrade.

13. Dec 4, 2013 #12

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I believe you! Unfortunately, I am max'ed out at 2 Gb! Sounds like a new pc is in the offing, doesn't it.

@dlgoff, Thanks again for the advice on W7 pro. I have software dating back to the DOS days that I still use, like the math package Derive. That was their last version with a paper manual. I refused to update to the W version when all they gave you was on-line help.

And, per Kurt Vonnegut, so it goes ...

14. Dec 4, 2013 #13

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay. So you probably have a bunch of 3.5" 1.44MB floppy disks. You won't find floppy drives in today's machines but for $20 you can still read them with these (what I used) 1.44MB EXTERNAL USB 2X FLOPPY DISK DRIVE. You can Buy from Walmart.

I said the same thing until I got my Windows 7 Dell. Out of the hundreds of floppies I have, I only needed the drive for 3 or 4 programs (<10 disk). Then I put my 16 bit machine on the stack with all my other outdated computers. :uhh:

15. Dec 7, 2013 #14
    So OP, what are you seeing?

Every link I click on PF (and just PF) opens a new page to "Jobs.com" or "FreeOnlineFinder.com," every single time. Do I have a virus or something? My credit card number was also recently stolen, could this be a relation?

I am using Firefox.

EDIT: I lied, it just happened on Youtube.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  16. Dec 7, 2013 #15

Borek

Did you know hackers stole all credit cards PIN code numbers in the world?

http://pastebin.com/2qbRKh3R

17. Dec 7, 2013 #16

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Thanks for the tip. Apparently I can just transfer the floppies to thumb drives. That definitely worked for DOS Derive already & the others I don't care too much about anyway. Most of the rest are on CD's, thank goodness.

18. Dec 7, 2013 #17

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do cc's have PINs? I thought that was just for bank (check) cards.

19. Dec 7, 2013 #18

Borek

When I use my CC I am confirming the transaction keying my PIN code into the terminal (unless I am using it as a wireless).

20. Dec 7, 2013 #19

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Must be different there than here. If I hand in a cc I just sign paper or some electronic signing device. I need a PIN if and only if I use my bank card.

21. Dec 7, 2013 #20

Borek

I don't remember when I was asked to sign a paper last time, but that was eons ago.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook