New airbus a330 or 300 or whichever

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date

Pengwuino

Gold Member
New airbus a330 or 300 or whichever :)

Does anyone know if any commercial flights have actually been done with that new airbus superjumbo? I wanna know if its as drool-tastic as modern marvels made it seem!

Pengwuino

Gold Member
I can never figure out what wikipedia's website name is :-/. I usually have to google it haha. Plus i was hoping if it did have commercial flights already, someone here might have been on one.

1.You... dont.. have it bookmarked?

2. Commercial flights don't start till 2006.

Pengwuino

Gold Member
Bookmarking it will only make it harder to find for me :-/

Mk

I never bookmark any wikipages, I just type em in.

Bookmark the main page, I meant.

lol modern marvels is such a great show

FredGarvin

Science Advisor
They just completed the first flight a couple of months ago. They have a long way to go to type certification.

BTW...it's the A380.

cronxeh

Gold Member
What troubles me, aside from the idiotically enormous amount of passengers per plane, is this behind the pilot seats:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/ba/A380.flightdeck.750pix.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

brewnog

Science Advisor
Gold Member
You mean the life vests?

Why does that trouble you, they're under the passenger seats.

cronxeh

Gold Member
Well I suppose if the sign read 'parachutes' it would be more troublesome.

how about ejection seats for pilot and the other guy ?

wolram

Gold Member
I like the office, nice latout, and note the lack of a gazillion swiches and dials.

Its surprising how that behemoth is able to lift off the ground. It looks like two planes in one. Who knows... they might be able to make a larger plane. Instead of Airbus it (as it stands now) is really Airdoubledeckerbus, and perhaps in the next few years they will design an Airtripledeckerbus.

It'll be like flying an oil tanker. :smile:

wolram

Gold Member
motai said:
Its surprising how that behemoth is able to lift off the ground. It looks like two planes in one. Who knows... they might be able to make a larger plane. Instead of Airbus it (as it stands now) is really Airdoubledeckerbus, and perhaps in the next few years they will design an Airtripledeckerbus.

Im not sure but i think wing design is the limiting factor, the russian cargo
plane is bigger, but it dosen't have to dock at an airport.

Pengwuino

Gold Member
motai said:

haha yah, instead of going to tokyo, you can fly the population of tokyo to you.

FredGarvin

Science Advisor
wolram said:
Im not sure but i think wing design is the limiting factor, the russian cargo
plane is bigger, but it dosen't have to dock at an airport.
Pretty much any kind of ground interface is the limiting factor right now. Jetways, allowable turning radius, runway size, passenger waiting area capacity, hangar space, etc...There is a very long list of things that require retooling for the A380 and a lot of airports are either starting to or are in the process of making changes to try to accomodate them.

Pengwuino

Gold Member
FredGarvin said:
Pretty much any kind of ground interface is the limiting factor right now. Jetways, allowable turning radius, runway size, passenger waiting area capacity, hangar space, etc...There is a very long list of things that require retooling for the A380 and a lot of airports are either starting to or are in the process of making changes to try to accomodate them.
LAX is remodeling to allow for the use of the A380 isnt it?

FredGarvin

Science Advisor
Yup. It's a major hub that the airlines that are buying that plane use. I don't think LAX had any choice in the matter. One place I see having a hell of a time adapting will be JFK on Long Island. It's already cramped for space and it's not like they can build on the water. Stories like this IMO will start gradually popping up.

Pengwuino

Gold Member
hmm... if i didnt have a genetic disposition towards throwing up at the thought of going into LA, i might have considered going there for a flight.

brewnog

Science Advisor
Gold Member
FredGarvin said:
Yup. It's a major hub that the airlines that are buying that plane use. I don't think LAX had any choice in the matter. One place I see having a hell of a time adapting will be JFK on Long Island. It's already cramped for space and it's not like they can build on the water. Stories like this IMO will start gradually popping up.

I might be showing my ignorance here, but why can they not build on the water at JFK?

FredGarvin

Science Advisor
Two words: Kansai International.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansai_International_Airport

They say they have the sinking under control, but who knows....BTW, I think it has to be one of the coolest airports in the world. If the US tried to build something like that it would be a total flop.

Pengwuino

Gold Member
Yah, only the japanese can do insane things like that and get it to work.

brewnog

Science Advisor
Gold Member

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic