New airbus a330 or 300 or whichever

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
In summary: JFK?Well I suppose if the sign read 'parachutes' it would be more troublesome.I don't think they can because of the airport's proximity to the water. JFK is actually built on a tidal marsh which means that it would be very hard to get any kind of construction going on the water. Plus, JFK is one of the few airports where water Taxi service is available, so if you're flying in and you don't have time to take the shuttle, you're out of luck.I might be showing my ignorance here, but why can they not build on the water at...JFK?Well I suppose if the sign read 'parachutes' it would be more troublesome.I
Pengwuino
Gold Member
New airbus a330 or 300 or whichever :)

Does anyone know if any commercial flights have actually been done with that new airbus superjumbo? I want to know if its as drool-tastic as modern marvels made it seem!

Physics news on Phys.org
I can never figure out what wikipedia's website name is :-/. I usually have to google it haha. Plus i was hoping if it did have commercial flights already, someone here might have been on one.

1.You... dont.. have it bookmarked?

2. Commercial flights don't start till 2006.

Bookmarking it will only make it harder to find for me :-/

I never bookmark any wikipages, I just type em in.

Bookmark the main page, I meant.

lol modern marvels is such a great show

They just completed the first flight a couple of months ago. They have a long way to go to type certification.

BTW...it's the A380.

What troubles me, aside from the idiotically enormous amount of passengers per plane, is this behind the pilot seats:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/ba/A380.flightdeck.750pix.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You mean the life vests?

Why does that trouble you, they're under the passenger seats.

Well I suppose if the sign read 'parachutes' it would be more troublesome.

how about ejection seats for pilot and the other guy ?

I like the office, nice latout, and note the lack of a gazillion swiches and dials.

Its surprising how that behemoth is able to lift off the ground. It looks like two planes in one. Who knows... they might be able to make a larger plane. Instead of Airbus it (as it stands now) is really Airdoubledeckerbus, and perhaps in the next few years they will design an Airtripledeckerbus.

It'll be like flying an oil tanker. :smile:

motai said:
Its surprising how that behemoth is able to lift off the ground. It looks like two planes in one. Who knows... they might be able to make a larger plane. Instead of Airbus it (as it stands now) is really Airdoubledeckerbus, and perhaps in the next few years they will design an Airtripledeckerbus.

Im not sure but i think wing design is the limiting factor, the russian cargo
plane is bigger, but it dosen't have to dock at an airport.

motai said:

haha yah, instead of going to tokyo, you can fly the population of tokyo to you.

wolram said:
Im not sure but i think wing design is the limiting factor, the russian cargo
plane is bigger, but it dosen't have to dock at an airport.
Pretty much any kind of ground interface is the limiting factor right now. Jetways, allowable turning radius, runway size, passenger waiting area capacity, hangar space, etc...There is a very long list of things that require retooling for the A380 and a lot of airports are either starting to or are in the process of making changes to try to accommodate them.

FredGarvin said:
Pretty much any kind of ground interface is the limiting factor right now. Jetways, allowable turning radius, runway size, passenger waiting area capacity, hangar space, etc...There is a very long list of things that require retooling for the A380 and a lot of airports are either starting to or are in the process of making changes to try to accommodate them.

LAX is remodeling to allow for the use of the A380 isn't it?

Yup. It's a major hub that the airlines that are buying that plane use. I don't think LAX had any choice in the matter. One place I see having a hell of a time adapting will be JFK on Long Island. It's already cramped for space and it's not like they can build on the water. Stories like this IMO will start gradually popping up.

hmm... if i didnt have a genetic disposition towards throwing up at the thought of going into LA, i might have considered going there for a flight.

FredGarvin said:
Yup. It's a major hub that the airlines that are buying that plane use. I don't think LAX had any choice in the matter. One place I see having a hell of a time adapting will be JFK on Long Island. It's already cramped for space and it's not like they can build on the water. Stories like this IMO will start gradually popping up.

I might be showing my ignorance here, but why can they not build on the water at JFK?

Two words: Kansai International.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansai_International_Airport

They say they have the sinking under control, but who knows...BTW, I think it has to be one of the coolest airports in the world. If the US tried to build something like that it would be a total flop.

Yah, only the japanese can do insane things like that and get it to work.

Pengwuino said:
Yah, only the japanese can do insane things like that and get it to work.

And the Brits!

The [feasibility study] is likely to confirm the preferred option of extending the Runway End Safety Area, on the Isle of Man, on the main runway out to sea by about 220 metres.

http://www.iomguide.com/news/general-news.php?story=502

:smile:

Naa, you guys won't figure out how to do it either :P

Pengwuino said:
Naa, you guys won't figure out how to do it either :P

How hard can it be?!

Just some massive polystyrene floats, some girders, balsa wood, tarmac, a few light bulbs, some cable, and a couple of thousand rolls of gaffer tape!

brewnog said:
How hard can it be?!

Just some massive polystyrene floats, some girders, balsa wood, tarmac, a few light bulbs, some cable, and a couple of thousand rolls of gaffer tape!

hmm... your right... hell I am going to go build an international airport on my roof :D

In 1995, Kansai Airport was struck by the Kobe earthquake, which was centered just 20 km away and killed 6,433 people on the mainland. The airport, however, emerged unscathed, mostly due to the use of sliding joints in its construction. Even the glass in the windows stayed intact. Later, in 1998, the airport survived a typhoon with wind speeds of up to 200 km/h.
:rofl: now that's cool. It's safer than real land!

Narita is more coolest than Kansai.

The biggest problem most carriers will have with using the A380 is the massive weight of the airplane. Most airports will have to rebuild there runways and any tunnels or roadways that pass under them. Also the A380 has a much larger wake disturbance pattern and dispersal time compared to a 747. This can create possible jams and delays in larger more congested hubs. Also Airbuss will have to make some changes to the flight control systems to get FAA approval. So if you want to ride on a A380 you will need to goto Europe or Asia. I think the future of air travel is in the smaller, faster, lighter, and cheaper to fly airplanes that is in the direction Boeing is going.

give me a hit to Chitose :wink:

Argentum Vulpes said:
The biggest problem most carriers will have with using the A380 is the massive weight of the airplane. Most airports will have to rebuild there runways and any tunnels or roadways that pass under them. Also the A380 has a much larger wake disturbance pattern and dispersal time compared to a 747. This can create possible jams and delays in larger more congested hubs. Also Airbuss will have to make some changes to the flight control systems to get FAA approval. So if you want to ride on a A380 you will need to goto Europe or Asia. I think the future of air travel is in the smaller, faster, lighter, and cheaper to fly airplanes that is in the direction Boeing is going.
u need to turn on that kidn of panel anytime u need it as advertisement or thereaint going to be meaningfull flights, i guess.

advice for u, if u need to fly fast, effieciently, u must get boeing tickets.

good luck if u have any journey to go...

Argentum Vulpes said:
I think the future of air travel is in the smaller, faster, lighter, and cheaper to fly airplanes that is in the direction Boeing is going.

Yah, at some point some environmentalist is going to say this new airplane "Is the flying SUV! Its evil! It takes up so much gas!" and whether or not its true, it'll be a disaster for airbus (especially if it happens sooner or later).

I've always wondered how people are going to make aircraft "environmentally friendly". People won't rest until gas is no longer used but it seems like the only things we possesses that keep huge masses in the air at 550mph is gas (at least the only closely economical thing we have)