1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New Angular Velocit

1. Oct 22, 2008 #1
    The mass of a star is 1.1e31 kg and its angular velocity is 1.40×10-7 rad/s. Find its new angular velocity if the diameter suddenly shrinks to 0.17 times its present size. Assume a uniform mass distribution before and after. [Icm for a solid sphere of uniform density is 2/5 mr^2].

Can anyone helps me plz?.... i dont know hoyw to begin this exercise...
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

Hi Naldo6,

What quantity would be conserved in this process?
  4. Oct 22, 2008 #3
    can u solve me this problem?....
  5. Oct 22, 2008 #4

Homework Helper

I'm sorry Naldo, but forum rules here prohibit doing someone else's homework for them. If I were to just solve the problem for you the multitude of homework helpers and mentors would unite and rise against me and crush me like a worm.

So instead of that, think of what quantity would be conserved here. There should only be a few conserved quantities that you have studied: energy, momentum, etc. What other conservation equation have you studied, that applies here? Once you have determined that, you can use that to write an equation that will help you solve the problem.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?