New Applied Math Degree (CS Track)

In summary, the conversation discusses a new degree being added to a university's curriculum and the classes included in its computer science track. The degree appears to be well-constructed, providing a strong foundation in mathematics and computer science principles and preparing students for careers in the tech industry. The individual is seeking opinions on whether this degree will make them a marketable employee.
toadomos
Hello everyone,

I am a senior at a university in Florida. I am currently majoring in Asian Studies and minoring in Applied Math. I am going to graduate this upcoming fall semester, but I am still interested in finishing the Applied Math minor that I started with a new degree that is going to be added in my university's curriculum within the next two years or so. Below are the classes in this new degree's computer science track. I would like to know your opinion of the degree based on the curriculum to know if it is well constructed. Here are the list of classes:

Required Lower Division Courses
• MAC 2311 Calculus I (4 credits)
• MAC 2312 Calculus II (4 credits)
• MAC 2313 Calculus III (4 credits)
• MAP 2302 Differential Equations (3 credits)
• MAD 2104 Discrete Math (3 credits)
One of the following courses is also required:
• COP 2210 Introduction to Programming (4 credits)
• COP 2250 Java Programming (3 credits)
• CGS 2423 C for Engineers (3 credits)

Required Upper Division Program
• MAS 3105 Linear Algebra (3 credits)
• MAA 3200 Introduction to Advanced Mathematics (3 credits)
• STA 4321 Mathematical Statistics I (3 credits)
• MAP 3103 Mathematical Modeling (3 credits)
• MAP 3103L Math Modelling Lab (1 credit)
• MAD 3401 Numerical Analysis (3 credits)
• MAP 4xxx Capstone Mathematical Modelling (3 credits)
• MAP 4xxxL Capstone Lab (1 credit)

Computer Science Track
MAD 3512 Theory of Algorithms (3 credits); MAP 4XXX Scientific Computing (3 credits); MAD 3305 Graph Theory (3 credits)
COP3337 Computer Programming II (3 credits), COP 3530 Data Structures (3 credits), CDA 3103
Fundamentals of Computer Systems (3 credits) and at least one course from the following list: COP 4338 Programming III, COP 4710 Databases, CAP 4770 Data Mining, COP 4534 Algorithm Design Techniques, CAP 4710 Graphics.

Please let me know your opinion, as I would like to know that with this upcoming Applied Math degree would make me a marketable employee.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
This looks like a great degree. It provides a solid foundation in mathematics and computer science principles, which are essential for a career in the tech industry. You will be able to apply your knowledge to build algorithms, analyze data, and create software applications. With this degree, you will be well-prepared to work in the fields of software engineering, computer programming, data analysis, and artificial intelligence. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is a New Applied Math Degree with a CS Track?

A New Applied Math Degree with a CS Track is an undergraduate degree program that combines mathematics with computer science. It provides students with a strong foundation in both disciplines and prepares them for careers in fields such as data science, artificial intelligence, and software engineering.

2. What courses are typically included in this degree program?

Courses in a New Applied Math Degree with a CS Track usually include a mix of math, computer science, and interdisciplinary courses. Some common courses may include calculus, linear algebra, algorithms, data structures, and machine learning.

3. What skills can I expect to gain from this degree?

By completing a New Applied Math Degree with a CS Track, you can expect to develop strong analytical, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills. You will also gain proficiency in programming languages, data analysis, and mathematical modeling.

4. What career opportunities are available with this degree?

Graduates with a New Applied Math Degree with a CS Track have a wide range of career opportunities in industries such as technology, finance, healthcare, and government. Some common job titles may include data scientist, software engineer, financial analyst, and operations researcher.

5. Is this degree program suitable for students with no prior programming experience?

Yes, this degree program is suitable for students with no prior programming experience. It is designed to provide a strong foundation in both mathematics and computer science, so students with varying levels of experience can succeed. However, having some basic knowledge of programming can be helpful in completing the coursework.