Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New Approach in steering mechs

1. Aug 29, 2011 #1
    Good day People, I require some assist in designing steering system for a vehicle I'm designing

I'm trying to upload an idea of what I'm referring too, but Site only allow 300kb and the file is 573kb

Any steering ideas out there, that is different from Go kart, Cars, vans etc.

In wheel Steering system is a nice approach

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2011 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Sounds like a school assignment, so you will need to show us your work first before we can offer ideas. What is the exact project/assignment statement?

4. Aug 29, 2011 #3
    Well... what School assignment? It is not I'm not even in school... I'm a designer... Anywho If you have read with understand, I said the site wouldn't allow me up upload the idea I'm going for, Its 573kb, the site allows 300kb, but you can throw some ideas out there doesn't necessarily needs a foundation

5. Aug 29, 2011 #4

berkeman

What format it is? Is a JPG version any smaller?

6. Aug 29, 2011 #5
    I made it in paint. Is there any other way I can make it smaller.

7. Aug 29, 2011 #6

berkeman

Yes. If you saved it as a *.BMP, just re-open it and save it as a *.JPG -- that will compress it a lot.

8. Aug 29, 2011 #7
    Thank you and here it is

Attached Files:

9. Aug 29, 2011 #8
    this is a better picture

Attached Files:

10. Aug 29, 2011 #9

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's all going to depend on what kind of vehicle it is and how big, but I personally don't think your posted idea is a very good one. For a "small-ish" vehicle (a.k.a. robot) the simplest way would be to drive each wheel with a motor and reverse the direction on one side to turn. For a more go-kart-sized vehicle, what's wrong with plain ol' rack & pinion or knuckle-based steering linkage?

11. Aug 29, 2011 #10
    Its not moving forward :P Its old and needs to be refine, I understand the Robotics with 1 wheel stop 1 move but thats not feasible in the streets nor in a urban area

12. Aug 29, 2011 #11

berkeman

What other new vehicle systems have you looked at? Have you looked at the latest NASA rover designs? How about the goofy 3-wheeled motorcycles that are showing up lately (2 wheels in front)? Maybe there are some good search terms for Google Images to show some recent innovative steering and propulsion systems for wheeled vehicles...

13. Aug 29, 2011 #12

berkeman

Ha! That was pretty interesting... :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook