1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New at Physics, PLEASE HELP

1. Sep 29, 2011 #1
    New at Physics, PLEASE HELP :)

Hello, I'm in 8th grade advanced Science, we just started physics but I'm very confused. Can anybody help me on how to calculate acceleration and magnitude? Thanks :approve: This is NOT homework, I am just trying to study for an exam tomorrow.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2011 #2
    Re: New at Physics, PLEASE HELP :)

Well magnitude is a general property of vectors. Not just acceleration.
    For example. velocity is a vector, the difference between "velocity" and "speed" is that "velocity" has a magnitude and a direction, whereas "speed" only has magnitude.

So "magnitude" is like the length of the vector. Another way to look at is is that if you are doing 1-dimensional problems (which you probably are) then your "vectors" are basically just a single number that can be positive or negative, then "magnitude" is like the absolute value.

As for acceleration, just think of it as the change in velocity over time.
    [tex]a=\frac{\Delta v}{\Delta t}=\frac{v_{f}-v_{i}}{\Delta t}[/tex]

4. Sep 29, 2011 #3

Hello :)

Acceleration is a rate of change of velocity, where velocity is a rate of change of position.

If I run in a 100m race, and finish in 10 seconds, my velocity is how fast I go from beginning to end. In this case it is:

[itex]v = \frac{finish-start}{time} = 10m/s[/itex]

In this case, the start is the x=0 position, and finish is the x=100 position.

Acceleration is similar to this.

If I start by going 5m/s and end at 15m/s, then my acceleration is:

[itex]a = \frac{final velocity - initial velocity}{time} = \frac{15m/s-5m/s}{10s} = 1m/s^2 [/itex]

Now, all of these are averages for the given example, and I randomly chose numbers.

Also, these are all magnitudes. If I were to attach a direction to the magnitude, it would become a vector.

Hope this helps.

5. Sep 30, 2011 #4

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

While a body is undergoing a change in speed, or even just a change in direction, then it is accelerating (or decelerating).

Only if it is travelling at a constant speed AND in a straight line is it NOT accelerating.

Something going around and around on a circular path at a constant speed is constantly accelerating, since for no time interval is it seen to be travelling in a straight line.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook