New Blade Runner

Main Question or Discussion Point

Ford, Gosling, Leto. Can't wait!

Answers and Replies

Wow!

I haven't seen the original in like 15 years. I think it's time to dust it off!

Do you know which parts of the dialog in the original were ad lib?

BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2018 Award
Much better trailer than the ones that were around for a few months!

Do you know which parts of the dialog in the original were ad lib?
Are you referring to Roy's part at the end about tears in the rain?

Much better trailer than the ones that were around for a few months!

Are you referring to Roy's part at the end about tears in the rain?
Yep.

But I'll never understand why a blade runner could be ambushed by the cue pee doll routine.

Bandersnatch
Science Advisor
After Prometheus, I expect another eye roller.

Khashishi
Science Advisor
I'm apprehensive. It's hard to pull off a sequel to a cult classic. Blade Runner leaves some open questions which makes you think about it. I'm worried that it will be turned into a simple good vs evil or save the world action flick.

I was seriously wondering if Harrison did his parts before he died. I gotta lay off the comic book movies.

The preview looked interesting, if they take the original concept in a good direction they might have a good flick. I don't really like Leto, though. Hopefully his role is similar to the one he played in American Psycho.

DHF
I was seriously wondering if Harrison did his parts before he died. I gotta lay off the comic book movies.
are you posting from the future? Currently Ford is still alive, at least according to my subjective present.

DHF
Though doing a sequel like this does kind of ruin the mystery of his character being a Replicant or not.

are you posting from the future? Currently Ford is still alive, at least according to my subjective present.
I was referring to his dispute with his son, Kylo.

StatGuy2000
Education Advisor
I'm apprehensive. It's hard to pull off a sequel to a cult classic. Blade Runner leaves some open questions which makes you think about it. I'm worried that it will be turned into a simple good vs evil or save the world action flick.
I understand your skepticism, but if there is a reason to be optimistic, this new film will be directed by acclaimed Quebecois (i.e. French-Canadian) filmmaker Denis Villeneuve, who has had an impressive resume thus far with both his earlier French language films (Polytechnique, Incendies) as well as his English-language films (Prisoners, Enemy, Sicario, and Arrival in particular). If any filmmaker will be able to pull off a thought-provoking sci-fi film in the manner of the original Blade Runner, it would be Villeneuve.

Bandersnatch
Science Advisor
I was referring to his dispute with his son, Kylo.
Have you seen 'The modern adventures of Han and Ben'?
upload_2017-6-21_16-38-10.png

(there's a whole series)

Borg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The second trailer is out.

OmCheeto
Gold Member
... if there is a reason to be optimistic, this new film will be directed by acclaimed Quebecois (i.e. French-Canadian) filmmaker Denis Villeneuve, who has had an impressive resume thus far with both his earlier French language films (Polytechnique, Incendies) as well as his English-language films (Prisoners, Enemy, Sicario, and Arrival in particular). If any filmmaker will be able to pull off a thought-provoking sci-fi film in the manner of the original Blade Runner, it would be Villeneuve.
I watch about 1 "new" movie about every 5 years. It was your post that prompted me to watch "Sicario" last month. I concur, that this director was a good choice, for this film.

Listening to people whine about movies who see the drivel that comes out every week makes me glad I'm not a "movie-goer".
They seem somewhat "jaded".

The original Bladerunner is one of my 10 favorite movies.

Bandersnatch
Science Advisor
I watch about 1 "new" movie about every 5 years.
The original Bladerunner is one of my 10 favorite movies.
Have you seen more than 10? :wink:

BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2018 Award
The trailers are proliferating.
I just saw a different trailer in a theater a couple of days ago.

OmCheeto
Gold Member
Have you seen more than 10? :wink:
Thousands. I just wait for them to come out on internet. Very few movies will make me skip the pause button.
The last two I saw on the big screen were "The Martian" and the latest Star Trek movie.
I'm going to have to research who is directing movies from now on, as that latest Trek movie looked like something out of "Fast and Furious", only with space ships. :thumbdown:

Given that I liked Sicario, and Ridley Scott can, IMHO, do no wrong, I will be seeing this one on the big screen.
:film::partytime:

BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2018 Award
I just came upon this short clip.

It is supposed to give background for the new Blade Runner movie.
The new Tyrell (Niander Wallace) is explaining about his new replicants.

Bandersnatch
Science Advisor
I just came upon this short clip.

It is supposed to give background for the new Blade Runner movie.
The new Tyrell (Niander Wallace) is explaining about his new replicants.
Looks like they remade the original replicant concept into Asimov's robots.

BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2018 Award
Here and here are the other two of the three background clips produced in conjunction with the new film.

There are references between them.
I would watch them in the following order:

Here is a nice interview with Harrison Ford on his role and the new film.
He is pretty engaged in the interview.

I've checked out some general reviews and IMDB.
Generally rated at least good, some much better
Cinematography seems to be great (as it was in the original), common suggestion: see in IMAX

I will watch the new Blade Runner tomorrow but I will first watch the old Blade Runner later in video to be familiar with the story. Looking at the synopsis.. the first events were supposed to occur in 2019. It's 2 years from now.. why is real world progress so slow and why did the writer in 1982 thought we could have replicants by year 2019? What was his source? or maybe we already have replicants hiding among us (remember the Grey hybrids stories circulating around)?

"In the futuristic year of 2019, Los Angeles has become a dark and depressing metropolis, filled with urban decay. Rick Deckard, an ex-cop, is a "Blade Runner". Blade runners are people assigned to assassinate "replicants". The replicants are androids that look like real human beings. When four replicants commit a bloody mutiny on the Off World colony, Deckard is called out of retirement to track down the androids. As he tracks the replicants, eliminating them one by one, he soon comes across another replicant, Rachel, who evokes human emotion, despite the fact that she's a replicant herself. As Deckard closes in on the leader of the replicant group, his true hatred toward artificial intelligence makes him question his own identity in this future world, including what's human and what's not human."

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
... why did the writer in 1982 thought we could have replicants by year 2019?
What makes you think he did? Do you believe he thought he was really writing future history instead of just a story out of his imagination?

What was his source?
His imagination
or maybe we already have replicants hiding among us (remember the Grey hybrids stories circulating around)?
That's just silly