Ford, Gosling, Leto in New Blade Runner: Counting Down the Days!

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, the new Blade Runner looks like it could be a good movie. It is directed by Denis Villeneuve, who has had an impressive resume thus far with both his earlier French language films (Polytechnique, Incendies) as well as his English-language films (Prisoners, Enemy, Sicario, and Arrival in particular). If any filmmaker will be able to pull off a thought-provoking sci-fi film in the manner of the original Blade Runner, it would be Villeneuve. However, there are some doubts about the quality of the film given the history of sequels to cult classics (e.g. Dawn

Ford, Gosling, Leto. Can't wait!

Likes OmCheeto
Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't seen the original in like 15 years. I think it's time to dust it off!

Do you know which parts of the dialog in the original were ad lib?

Much better trailer than the ones that were around for a few months!

Noisy Rhysling said:
Do you know which parts of the dialog in the original were ad lib?
Are you referring to Roy's part at the end about tears in the rain?

BillTre said:
Much better trailer than the ones that were around for a few months!Are you referring to Roy's part at the end about tears in the rain?
Yep.

But I'll never understand why a blade runner could be ambushed by the cue pee doll routine.

After Prometheus, I expect another eye roller.

Likes Fervent Freyja
I'm apprehensive. It's hard to pull off a sequel to a cult classic. Blade Runner leaves some open questions which makes you think about it. I'm worried that it will be turned into a simple good vs evil or save the world action flick.

I was seriously wondering if Harrison did his parts before he died. I got to lay off the comic book movies.

The preview looked interesting, if they take the original concept in a good direction they might have a good flick. I don't really like Leto, though. Hopefully his role is similar to the one he played in American Psycho.

Noisy Rhysling said:
I was seriously wondering if Harrison did his parts before he died. I got to lay off the comic book movies.
are you posting from the future? Currently Ford is still alive, at least according to my subjective present.

Though doing a sequel like this does kind of ruin the mystery of his character being a Replicant or not.

DHF said:
are you posting from the future? Currently Ford is still alive, at least according to my subjective present.
I was referring to his dispute with his son, Kylo.

Likes Bandersnatch
Khashishi said:
I'm apprehensive. It's hard to pull off a sequel to a cult classic. Blade Runner leaves some open questions which makes you think about it. I'm worried that it will be turned into a simple good vs evil or save the world action flick.

I understand your skepticism, but if there is a reason to be optimistic, this new film will be directed by acclaimed Quebecois (i.e. French-Canadian) filmmaker Denis Villeneuve, who has had an impressive resume thus far with both his earlier French language films (Polytechnique, Incendies) as well as his English-language films (Prisoners, Enemy, Sicario, and Arrival in particular). If any filmmaker will be able to pull off a thought-provoking sci-fi film in the manner of the original Blade Runner, it would be Villeneuve.

Noisy Rhysling said:
I was referring to his dispute with his son, Kylo.
Have you seen 'The modern adventures of Han and Ben'?
upload_2017-6-21_16-38-10.png

(there's a whole series)

Likes StatGuy2000
The second trailer is out.

Likes OmCheeto
StatGuy2000 said:
... if there is a reason to be optimistic, this new film will be directed by acclaimed Quebecois (i.e. French-Canadian) filmmaker Denis Villeneuve, who has had an impressive resume thus far with both his earlier French language films (Polytechnique, Incendies) as well as his English-language films (Prisoners, Enemy, Sicario, and Arrival in particular). If any filmmaker will be able to pull off a thought-provoking sci-fi film in the manner of the original Blade Runner, it would be Villeneuve.

I watch about 1 "new" movie about every 5 years. It was your post that prompted me to watch "Sicario" last month. I concur, that this director was a good choice, for this film.

Listening to people whine about movies who see the drivel that comes out every week makes me glad I'm not a "movie-goer".
They seem somewhat "jaded".

The original Bladerunner is one of my 10 favorite movies.

Likes StatGuy2000
OmCheeto said:
I watch about 1 "new" movie about every 5 years.
OmCheeto said:
The original Bladerunner is one of my 10 favorite movies.
Have you seen more than 10? :wink:

The trailers are proliferating.
I just saw a different trailer in a theater a couple of days ago.

Bandersnatch said:
Have you seen more than 10? :wink:
Thousands. I just wait for them to come out on internet. Very few movies will make me skip the pause button.
The last two I saw on the big screen were "The Martian" and the latest Star Trek movie.
I'm going to have to research who is directing movies from now on, as that latest Trek movie looked like something out of "Fast and Furious", only with space ships. :thumbdown:

Given that I liked Sicario, and Ridley Scott can, IMHO, do no wrong, I will be seeing this one on the big screen.
:film::partytime:

I just came upon this short clip.

It is supposed to give background for the new Blade Runner movie.
The new Tyrell (Niander Wallace) is explaining about his new replicants.

BillTre said:
I just came upon this short clip.

It is supposed to give background for the new Blade Runner movie.
The new Tyrell (Niander Wallace) is explaining about his new replicants.
Looks like they remade the original replicant concept into Asimov's robots.

Likes BillTre
Here and here are the other two of the three background clips produced in conjunction with the new film.

There are references between them.
I would watch them in the following order:

Here is a nice interview with Harrison Ford on his role and the new film.
He is pretty engaged in the interview.

I've checked out some general reviews and IMDB.
Generally rated at least good, some much better
Cinematography seems to be great (as it was in the original), common suggestion: see in IMAX

I will watch the new Blade Runner tomorrow but I will first watch the old Blade Runner later in video to be familiar with the story. Looking at the synopsis.. the first events were supposed to occur in 2019. It's 2 years from now.. why is real world progress so slow and why did the writer in 1982 thought we could have replicants by year 2019? What was his source? or maybe we already have replicants hiding among us (remember the Grey hybrids stories circulating around)?

"In the futuristic year of 2019, Los Angeles has become a dark and depressing metropolis, filled with urban decay. Rick Deckard, an ex-cop, is a "Blade Runner". Blade runners are people assigned to assassinate "replicants". The replicants are androids that look like real human beings. When four replicants commit a bloody mutiny on the Off World colony, Deckard is called out of retirement to track down the androids. As he tracks the replicants, eliminating them one by one, he soon comes across another replicant, Rachel, who evokes human emotion, despite the fact that she's a replicant herself. As Deckard closes in on the leader of the replicant group, his true hatred toward artificial intelligence makes him question his own identity in this future world, including what's human and what's not human."

Blue Scallop said:
... why did the writer in 1982 thought we could have replicants by year 2019?
What makes you think he did? Do you believe he thought he was really writing future history instead of just a story out of his imagination?

What was his source?
His imagination
or maybe we already have replicants hiding among us (remember the Grey hybrids stories circulating around)?
That's just silly

phinds said:
What makes you think he did? Do you believe he thought he was really writing future history instead of just a story out of his imagination?

His imagination That's just silly

I got the video now and Inhuman episode 3. I will first watch Inhuman then the old Blade Runner.

What's interesting about Blade Runner is the theme about androids and human emotion. If human emotion is more than the sum of the parts.. and androids can never have it. Then it's not silly that AI aliens factions (Borg like) can travel light years to Earth just to harvest emotion. In fact, this is the main theme of all story about the Hybrids.. it's all about emotions. So if we have blade runners whose task is to assassinate the Replicants (or Hybrids).. know they all have emotion.. even if the genetic ingredients are cybernetic insectoid materials. Anyways, movies are just pale reflections of what is possible. I just hope in the future when they made Blade Runner part 3 and they can make use of the idea I just mentioned because it would be more cool. Meanwhile let's enjoy the movies.

Saw the movie today. I won't say much about it other than that it is a worthy successor to the original film. The one thing I liked is how there are things in this film that clearly shows that it is a direct extension of the first film and they did not try to reflect the effects of events that have taken place in the real world between the making of the two films. For example, there were advertisement displays for Pan Am and Atari in this film, both companies that had product placements in the first film.

Likes BillTre
I saw it also. In IMAX, Thursday night. Not many people there.
I liked it. Very cinematic (visually good). Interesting story. The short videos I linked to above will help understanding of what is going on in the movie.
It is not a fast moving film through, but you can get sucked into it if you are patient.

Differences are (not spoilers):
  • the existence of replicants is widely acknowledged if the film,
  • the issue of replicant emotions is more obviously dealt with.

BillTre said:
I saw it also. In IMAX, Thursday night. Not many people there.
I liked it. Very cinematic (visually good). Interesting story. The short videos I linked to above will help understanding of what is going on in the movie.
It is not a fast moving film through, but you can get sucked into it if you are patient.

Differences are (not spoilers):
  • the existence of replicants is widely acknowledged if the film,
  • the issue of replicant emotions is more obviously dealt with.

It's also being shown in IMAX in my place. Noticed it's indicated 2 hours and 54 hours. Are there a lot of 3D scenes in the movie enough to warrant Imax tickets? Need to reserve some seats if it has many 3D. Thanks.

My IMAX wasn't 3D.
It wasn't maximal IMAX.

Blue Scallop said:
I will first watch the old Blade Runner later in video to be familiar with the story
FYI, there is a bazillion of cuts out there. Well, ok, maybe three main cuts. There's the theatrical cut with the intentionally hammy voiceover (avoid!), the one without it (preferred version in my opinion), and the one with the unicorn (one extra scene alters the whole film - arguably more in line with the short story it was based on, but less coherent as a purely cinematic experience).

Bandersnatch said:
FYI, there is a bazillion of cuts out there. Well, ok, maybe three main cuts. There's the theatrical cut with the intentionally hammy voiceover (avoid!), the one without it (preferred version in my opinion), and the one with the unicorn (one extra scene alters the whole film - arguably more in line with the short story it was based on, but less coherent as a purely cinematic experience).
Blade Runner (30th Anniversary Collector's Edition) [Blu-ray] by Warner Home Video
R
DVD30th Anniversary Collector's Edition - Blu-ray
$235.78(1 used & new offers)

I watched Blade Runner 2049 but the sound system in the cinema is not good that I couldn't completely understand the English spoken. Maybe I should have watched it in Imax. But the overall tone of the movie is quite depressing (at least for me). We will fail miserably if we will have similar future where gross materiality rules. Where humans are treated as mere things. When it's available in Blu-ray. I'll watch it again with subtitles. I wonder if those native English speakers amongst you can totally understand every word utter in the movie (?)

What was the name of the lady with one eye? Anybody remember other roles she has done?