Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New Capacitor

1. Jan 11, 2007 #1

LURCH

Science Advisor

The problem of being competitiev with batteries for sorage capacity may be licked! The Ford-MIT Alliance has deveoped a new capacitor tat might be a viable replacement for batteries. It should be ready for market in five to ten years, and Hybrid vehicle transportation (the field in which I hope to work) is one of the targetted applications.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2007 #2
    I'll be impressed when he has actually built one as opposed to building some of the components that may one day go into one.
    How many times have new power sources spelt the end for the conbventional battery? I'm still driving round in a petrol car with a big lump of lead acid to provide starting power.
    Li-Ion is still the only real contender for electric, with the French "Venturi Fetish" leading the field IMHO. 0-60MPH in 4.2sec is a bit better than your average golf cart.

4. Jan 12, 2007 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Interesting article. Thanks LURCH.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?